Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Monstrous pot with Aces

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry man but this is disgusting. The flop is 168 rainbow, he's not pushing a draw! He also limped and didnt re-raise so he doesnt have a big pair. Muck to the big flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't be pushing a draw? He can't have a big pair b/c he didn't reraise preflop? He can't be bluff-raising the flop?

Wow. You have alot to learn.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The above quote is dispicable in a forum which seeks to talk about the strategy behind a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry. against people who are sane, or don't like losing massive quantities of money, and sober this is a terrible play.

it's clear that hero didn't have a distinct plan behind his second reraise to 3k. he called because he just "instinctively thought villain was on a bluff."

how is it clear cut that hero should raise this hand?

if villain has KK/QQ etc. then calling down would be a better strategy. villain will certainly rethink his position when he is raised to 3 thousand. almost no hands will give action when you're ahead, cause villain has GOT to credit hero for a monster hand. if villain does not credit hero for such a hand, then there will definitely be better spots where hero will have a bushwacking hand to destroy villain with. i understand that this is not a tournament, but there is just not enough information in this hand to just chip spew like this.

when you're overbetting the pot, you better have either have monster or absolute garbage. hero first bets 200, into 100 pot, then villain raises to 1000, making the bet 800 into a 500 pot. by overbetting like this, hero will have no idea what he's getting into while the pot grows exponentially.

it is a TERRIBLE idea to get into a huge pot with someone who is willing to back their stack with a wide range of hands when you don't have a monster yourself. when you overbet, you generally want to have either garbage, so you don't get committed with huge stacks.

if villain is on a bluff, he's risking 8 thousand to win around 4 thousand. this seems a TAD bit ridiculous. there is no reason hero should call after this move.

getting all in on one pair hands is bad strategy usually even with 100x bb stacks. with 1800x bb, only rarely, with x-ray vision seeing through their cards, or if i see my villain foaming at the mouth, will my stack be in there.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:26 AM

I do, and $25.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 AM

good grief. did you really call?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 AM

Okay, please tell me the line villian would have to have taken for you to fold?

If the answer is as I suspect, fold preflop. Stubborn + Aces + 3000bb (!!!) = -EV

Next time you get AA, fold preflop, just to practice folding it.

(I'm only half joking)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 AM

I dont like your reraise much either, but at least it gave you information that you were most likely beat.

The pot is so small on the flop and still he backs his hand with his stack after you 3bet him. What he is putting at stake with his push is huge in relation to what was there to win on the table when he first raised. I find it hard to see him doing this on a pure bluff often.

If he is a good LAG AND capable of making a (semi-)bluff in that spot, he will do it rarely, making a case for a call very thin imo.

Marnix
Old 05-12-2005, 11:13 AM

its really not that tough to fold an overpair postflop.

online it's a click away.

live it's a short rotation of your wrist.