Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: \"They\'d be drawing dead.\" Barry G on tournament pros...

"There are five top players: There's Doyle Brunson, there's Chip Reese, there's Chau Giang, there's Phil Ivey, there's myself," Greenstein says."

I would like to clarify something. Is Barry talking about ALL AROUND play? Surely he can't be suggesting that there is no one better than any of these five in ANY typically played game? I am sure I can name at least one person off this list who plays better than at least one person on the list in Limit Holdem, Pot limit Omaha, Eight or Better Stud and No Limit Deuce To Seven. But maybe Barry disagrees.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure I can name at least one person off this list who plays better than at least one person on the list in Limit Holdem.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Would his initials be DS? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Without escalating blinds and with blinds relatively small compared to the 500k, one match like this could take ...forever. If they choose to escalate blinds it becomes a tournament and not a cash game. The only thing settled by doing this is who is the better heads=yup tournay player. For this to have meaning they need to play somewhere between 1000-1500s against each other at the same limit.

Vince
Old 05-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Who would you put on your top five list of all around Poker Players? Or maybe a Sklansky's List of the best poker players by game would be great!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where you come up with this, Vince. Do you read poker articles specifically to find passages that can be taken out of context to support points you made months ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I reply to your other remarks first let me say that I believe that you "know" that by accusing me of taking things out of context to prove a point is an insult. You know that, so please be honest , and then apologize.

Barry also said:

[ QUOTE ]
What tournaments are all about is beating bad players. Building up big chips in tournaments is a skill. I don't want to say they don't have certain skills. But playing good players, they'd have their heads handed to them at the highest levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rosenblaum goes on to say:

[ QUOTE ]
You can doubt Greenstein's contentions about how cash game players compare to tournament players. And he will be happy to welcome you to his game. Bring money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, BG does not come out and say that tournaments are not poker. I did not say the he said that.

What I said was [ QUOTE ]
I believe that he is saying, in effect,

[/ QUOTE ]

"I believe" and "in effect" mean that this is my take on what BG is referring to when he distinguishes between tournament players and cash game players. I might be wrong but I might also be right. Am I not allowed an opinion on this forum?

Vince

Vince
Old 05-10-2005, 04:24 PM

I think its pretty clear that he's referring to players who can beat the big game, which we all know is a mix of games. It would be pretty ridiculous to claim that everyone on that list is better than every other player on earth in every game.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 PM

[quote Is Barry talking about ALL AROUND play? Surely he can't be suggesting that there is no one better than any of these five in ANY typically played game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed when I read the statement that he was saying that these players are, on average, the five best in ALL the games, so if you were to rate every poker player on a 1-100 scale in each game, those five would have the highest total score.

It would be wholly illogical for him (or anyone) to suggest that the Top 5 players in EACH game were those five people.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely he can't be suggesting that there is no one better

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

What don't you understand about "there are five top players"? It is my understanding that these five players consistently play in the biggest game available. That game is a mixed game. BG is saying that if you know someone that is better than these five:"Bring'em on". Oh, BTW- i see a guy named Lee Salem in those games quite a bit. Is Barry saying that he is a ...not so great player? These super pros, you never know really what they mean, now do you?

Vince
Old 05-10-2005, 04:32 PM

What does Barry expect when

1. His games are not televised or well known outside of these forums and small parts of Vegas.

2. The cash results are largely unknown to anyone.

The answer is obvious. The winners in the big game are not as famous as people who win televised tournaments with well known purses. It is a little naive of Barry and the 4 to expect everyone to realize he is the best when the games he plays are fairly private.

And Barry is not saying tournaments are not poker at all. He is saying a large part of them is beating bad players, which requires a certain skill. They do not require a player to beat the other best players in the same way the big games do. They are still poker, and skilled players will do better at them.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Seems like you of all people would be able to detect sarcasm