Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: How many of the BIG GAME players are the real deal?

If you are trying to say they got the bankroll playing live games oyu are sadly mistaken. This is a ridiculous statement! Barry has made his money from different endeavors before poker. Phil I. has made the bankroll playing tournaments. And you call my postys idiotic? LOL.

So please tell me where my inexperience at poker is shown in my idiotic posts. If you can show me where i don't know poker i will give you an apology. If you cannot then you owe me one. Deal?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:16 AM

"the point is we don't have to be that good because they are not that good."

Wouldn't you win more money, at the stakes at which you currently play, if you were better? I'm a good player, too, at the stakes I play. I win. Consistently and over the long run. While I think I would win at slightly higher stakes, I don't think I would at the very highest levels. Too many of the players there simply are better than I am, or could ever be.

There might well be some players who could do well if they moved up in stakes. You mentioned Cooke, Mason, and Sklansky, and those names certainly seem likely candidates. But there are many more players who couldn't.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Jennifer had made money at different endeavors. Phil ivey got the money to play int hat game through his tournament wins. Just because he played 75-150 doesn't mean he built his bankroll that way. In fact i saw cindy viloette on tv say she saw phil back then and said he wa a little crazy or something to that effect. He would get some money to gether and take a shot. Then lose it and keep trying.

Jennfier has played the limits a little bit. But that doesn't mean she built here entire bankroll to play in that game from moving up the limits. by here own admission says she has made some very good investments. And some say she recieved some inheritance. I was told by someone prominent in the poker world that the only person who has made his money entirely from poker that plays in the big game is chaui giang. He was a cook in vegas and started in the 10-20 mand 20-40 games. then took shots at big limits and never looked back. The person who told me this is very respected in the poker world. This convo was pre big tournaments where every 2 weeks someonelese is a millionaire. So Gus daniel and phil made it through poker. But not playing the best in the world in live games building there bankroll. They won some big tournaments and got rich. Which doesn't prove there abilty to play live poker. In fact it doesn't even prove they are great tournament players. Although i give them little more respect in tournaments than i do live poker. As at least they have some credetials to rely on. As far as live they are now rich and play big. Does that prove they are great? Anybody rich enough, or not caring enough of risking his bankroll could sit down. Doesn't make them great.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:33 AM

"Anybody rich enough, or not caring enough of risking his bankroll could sit down. Doesn't make them great."

Yeah, Lary Flynt and Jerry Buss play big. But nobody thinks of them as world class players.

I think of it in this way: there are more players who play well at 20-40 than at 10-20; at 40-80 than at 20-40; at 80-160 than at 40-80. Etc. So it stands to reason that there's a high percentage of truly great players at the highest stakes.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:33 AM

So tell me how a world class player would have a big edge on me in a full 10 handed 15-30 game? Is he superman? Will he read my mind and know my 2 cards everytime? Please. You and others fall into this idoloization of these guys that claim to think on a level we don't know. If we were talking about live no=limit or pot limit that could be a different story. But in limit poker. They wouldn't like my action.

then the next question would be. Say you are right and world class players outmatch us normal good players by so much. Well who are they? How does one know who the world class are if we're not smart enough to know how they think or play. For instance is daniel negreanu world class? What makes him think he is? Becaseu he plays in the big game, becasue he won a bunch of money from tournies? Becasue he says he is? That's not good enough for me to call him world class. What about you?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:37 AM

Granted the higher you play there will be a higher percentage of great players. But how does one decifer who are truley great, and who are just pretenders that have some money? Is daniel negreanu world class? i bet if you he thinks he is.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM

The point is: it doesn't make them bad players either, and the only ones that could answer your question will either a) never read this or b) never bother answer. You can't have any idea who's good and who isn't and neither will any of us.
You could keep track of DN blog when he played in the big game and see how well he did and maybe catch a glimpse of information on how other people did if he happened to talk about it, that's like 90% of the information a regular person can gather on the internet about that game.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So tell me how a world class player would have a big edge on me in a full 10 handed 15-30 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh he wouldn't. In fact, I think you would have an edge over world Class High Limit players if they tried to play in a 15-30 game with you. Not that at some point if they stayed there that they wouldn't catch up but initially they would, in my opinion, find it very difficult to compete successfully in a typical 15-30 Bellagio game.

Vince
Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 AM

My point is just becasue i play much lower limits than them doesn't mean they are better players. I'm sure some are truley great. And others probably are not much better or worse than i am when it comes to limit poker. I'm not saying that to be arrogant. But to show that limit holdem is a game that if played correctly noone can have much of an edge over you, if any? People imo have this unrealistic thought process that these guys are supermen that will have a big edge over them. When in reality they just have more money. And more willing to risk what they have.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But how does one decifer who are truley great

[/ QUOTE ]

Same way as always. If you sit in a high stakes game for 30 minutes and can't spot the "fish"...well you know the rest.

Vince