Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Barry Greenstein\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really looking forward to this book, but that cover is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the cover is very good. Very "stylish". Matter of personal preference, I believe. Who created that cover anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, it is a matter of taste, although I've found that the covers of poker players' books are very similar to poker players' fashion sense: way overstated and gaudy ("ok so we've got cards on the cover, we've got chips on the cover, the title and author info, anything else?" "hmm.....how about a gun?")

Although there are some poker books with good cover designs ("Poker Wisdom of a Champion" [and the similar Bobby Baldwin book], and yes, even "Play Poker Like the Pros" [although the cover is probably all that book has going for it])

It just doesn't seem to me to be just a coincidence that the literary books on poker seem to have very well-designed and aesthetically pleasing covers ("positively fifth street", "the biggest game in town", "the making of a poker player", hell even moneymaker's book's cover isn't bad), while most strategy books have covers that look like they were designed in MS Paint.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really looking forward to this book, but that cover is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the cover is very good. Very "stylish". Matter of personal preference, I believe. Who created that cover anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were designing the cover, I'd get Robert Crumb to draw Barry, Chau, Chip, Doyle, and Phil sitting at a poker table with Andy, Flynt, and Buss.

(Someone ought to be beating down Crumb's door getting him to do a Legends of Poker deck, but that's another topic.)
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I were designing the cover, I'd get Robert Crumb to draw Barry, Chau, Chip, Doyle, and Phil sitting at a poker table with Andy, Flynt, and Buss.

(Someone ought to be beating down Crumb's door getting him to do a Legends of Poker deck, but that's another topic.)

[/ QUOTE ]

if he agrees to draw Chau doing his "I love poker" nipple-rubbing, I'd chip in for Crumb's commission.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazon told me they will have the book searchable by normal means later in the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence sir, but you look like you are one with the Dark Side of the force from the cover pic... ACK... I'm choking... stop Barry!