Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Which Golf clubs are most used/important?

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you using a metaphor that you don't understand? That just seems like lame, dishonest writing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because I am a lame, dishonest writer.

But mainly because it sounded like a good idea, which once given a basic understanding of, can be used in what may or may not be a good article.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YES I KNOW COREY PAVIN WON ONE, but that was before courses were tiger-proofed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If courses were actually Tiger-proofed, they would be perfect for Pavin/Funk type players. Most tour courses have simply been lengthened, which is much better for Tiger.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:07 PM

You loser. They should never let you play golf again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I remember playing some hack of a school. And this one guy keeps trying to shave a stroke here or there. I kept correcting him. Then he gets up to a par 3, and double bogeys it. I asked what he got and he said birdie. I said okay, then he asked me what I had, and I told him 1. He unflichingly marks it on the card. First hole in one of my life.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All of the great players (even the shorter-hitting tour players) are GREAT drivers of the golf ball. They either have great length (Daly), or great accuracy (Justin Leonard). If they have both, they are Woods, Singh, Els, Phil, etc. Simple as that. The game is damned easy when you're in the short grass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course, this is true, but I guess my point here is that as long as you hit it 250 and straight, it's a HELL of a lot better than 300 and crooked. Ask Hank Keuhne(sp?). I remember an article where he was in a twosome with Ian Woosnam and he was kinf of laughing baout if he could only hit it 260 or so like Woosnam, he'd hate golf, shortly thereafter hittting it 343, over a tree at around 290 I guess. Longly thereafter however, carding a 74 while Woosnam shot 69....

I've heard it said though in many a place something to the effect of if every non-pro player took 10% or so off their driver, they would more than make up for it in accuracy. For players that are higher double-digit handicaps and up, I've read that they'd be better off not HAVING a 1W at all.

Also, I wouldn't think if you took the 1W out of Tiger's bag, it would end up costing him very much at all.

Love the discussion though. TYVM all.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a muni course, 9 and 8 irons are key, since the approach is always 150 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never played Mariner's Point?
"LOL"
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You loser. They should never let you play golf again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I remember playing some hack of a school. And this one guy keeps trying to shave a stroke here or there. I kept correcting him. Then he gets up to a par 3, and double bogeys it. I asked what he got and he said birdie. I said okay, then he asked me what I had, and I told him 1. He unflichingly marks it on the card. First hole in one of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. That's good. Mainly we just "found" balls and stuff like that. This was when I played JV in 9th grade. My playing partner had a hole in his pants pocket (not for that) and he would use that to "find" his ball. This was against all the little pussy ass schools. Kids that would come in with a new set of irons or whatever every week. We got our sweet revenge.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM

My golf bag.......

Most important
1) putter....used approximately 24-30 times each round
2)56 degree wedge....used for chipping on most greens that i miss (5-8 times) and 4-7 for approach shots
3) Driver.....used 10-14 times
4) Pitching wedge.....used 4-7 times for approach shots
5) 4-iron....used to lay up from tee or on 2nd shots on par 5's 4-7 times
6) 51 degree wedge...used for chipping and some approach shots
7) 60 degree wedge....used for chipping and some approach shots
8) 9-iron....approach shots
9) 8-iron....approach shots
10) 7-iron....approach shots
11) 6-iron....approach shots
12) 5-iron....approach shots and occasional tee shots
13) 3-iron....approach shots and occasional tee shots
14) 4-wood....occasional tee and approach shots, 2nd shot on some par 5's
Old 05-02-2005, 08:18 PM

1. putter (used about 45 times a round - I wish I were joking)
2. wedges (48, 52, 56, and 60 - I have no set yardages or anything. Sometimes I'll hit a knockdown sand wedge, or a full lob, from the same distance. If I'm chipping from right off the green, I can use any of the four, depending on the lie, how much green I have to work with, etc.)
3. whatever I'm using to drive the ball, usually a selection of driver, 3w, and 3 iron - depends on how long the course is, but I usually don't use the driver unless I'm playing a >420 yard par 4, as I'm not particularly accurate with it, and I can get 240-245 out of the 3 wood.)
4. all other irons, though the lower irons (9-iron, 8-iron, etc.) are more important, as there is usually a reasonable chance for you to put yourself in scoring position.

I'm about a 14 handicap.

And Tiger is not both long and accurate with the driver. He was close to last in the field in fairways hit at the masters.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:41 PM

Snead said:
putter, driver, wedge

Hogan said:
driver, putter, wedge

i would estimate:
putter can save 5+ shots per round
driver can cost or help 5+ shots per round
wedge can save a few shots per round
Old 05-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Putter - Obviously...There is a reason they say '...putt for dough' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

51 degree - Why putt when you can chip it in

2 iron, Callaway Big Bertha (it matters for me) - The Big Bertha (2003) 2 iron is more like a driving iron then most driving irons I have hit. I love this club. It's my tight drive club, my "3 wood" when I don't need (or want) the loft and my "get out from under the trees" club [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Plus...it's cool to carry a 2 iron...really...try it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The rest of my clubs just take up beer space