Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 2+2 Stud8 Open

9977 is only a very small underdog against 2345. Not that you should be making Nines-up very often. Ahem.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
9977 is only a very small underdog against 2345. Not that you should be making Nines-up very often. Ahem.

[/ QUOTE ]

ALRIGHT! I opened the action with a seven door card to try to pick up the dead money...you re-raised me with what is seemingly a pair of kings. The bring-in calls. Now, at the 75-150 level do you really think I am just going to fold outright when all my cards are live? Believe me though...I never would even consider playing that hand if this wasnt a tournament and I wasnt trying to pick up the dead money. Im sure you guys will get me next time.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:40 PM

it wasn't a bad play, imo. by fourth, you've got two pair against what you had to assume was a rough low... two dimes had 2345 as a 54% favroite vs 9977, hardly a suckout.

i bricked off so many damn times in that SnG... the hand that really hurt was an early one where Bmando started rolled, and i had 3 to a low SF, we capped third with Rgarland (no idea what he had) and i bricked twice before folding. after that it was an uphill battl for me, and i slid back farther each time... survived one all in when i had top pair and we (greenage, i think?) and I both mde two pair...

I think i was stealing with an ace on the door too much, Bmando caught me once for a couple hundred, and so did greenage.

next week...
Old 04-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Here is that hand. At the time I thought "best hand on board" so I raised, of course, I didn't actually have it because of "Dr. RollUp". After that cap I was still hopeful enough to call down. Calling the river was stupid.

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level II (25/50), Ante 5, Bring-In 10 (hand converter)

Hero: (1447)
Seat 4: (1568)
Seat 5: (1545)
Seat 6: (1544)
Seat 7: (1421)
Seat 8: (1475)

3rd Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises___calls

4th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Results:
Old 04-30-2005, 10:53 PM

I think calling the full bet on third was fine. Raising would have been fine, too. When it's another two bets back to you, though, I think you have to give it up. I don't think this crew is going to be betting like that with three-card lows. You're probably looking at bigger pairs or maybe a roll-up. Even if they do have three-card lows, they probably have strong high possibilities, so you're not in that great of shape in any case. I'd save my chips for a better gambling opportunity.

I think calling one bet on fourth and fifth is OK. Sixth and seventh are a little muddier, because either you're playing for half the pot or you're behind. I think, on balance, that the pot is big enough that you ought to call it down, but I really wouldn't like it.