FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Current Tally

As of DavidC's response

Hand 1: 14 folds/3 limps/4 raises

Hand 2: 8 folds/2 limps/11 raises

Hand 3: 3 folds/17 limps/1 raise

Hand 4: 9 folds/11 limps/1 raise

Hand 5: 11 folds/9 limps/1 Not Sure (BOOOOOOOO)

Hand 6: 6 folds/4 limps/11 raises

Hand 7: 17 folds/4 calls

Hand 8: Everything from never raise KJs UTG, to always raise KJs UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And yeah, hand 8 probably does deserve it's own thread at some point. It's a good one!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Current Tally

Thanks for the current tally.

This is a good thread, for sure! I look forward to the results. :&gt
Old 04-26-2005, 07:03 PM

can i just point out that the correct answers involve a helluva lot more raising, and a helluva lot less limping and folding?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can i just point out that the correct answers involve a helluva lot more raising, and a helluva lot less limping and folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're raising far too many of these far too often. I hate blind stealing from MP2 with 9-high with a LAG trapped in between who has position on you and two loose opponents. Your hand is going to have to showdown too often to like a raise here.

I feel the same way about raising with J8s against a calling station. If he were more likely to fold because of your raise, I can dig it. But not with that lineup.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 PM

i wrote up a reasonably lengthy response justifying both raises... but ultimately came to the conclusion that i'm not as sold on raising as I first thought I was... not enough to think raising couldn't be correct, but not enough to dismiss limping.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: A New Quiz!

1) Fold
2) Raise
3) Limp
4) Fold
5) Fold
6) Limp (usually)
7) Fold
8) Call against good opponents, Raise against bad ones.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM

Hand 1: Limp. Figuring I'll get 2 or 3 others at least, and figure post-flop will be pretty easy to figure out whether to continue.

Hand 2: Limping again, pretty cautious with this hand if the solid player comes in, though.

Hand 3: Limping. Not enough equity to raise, no one who already called will leave.

Hand 4: Fold.

Hand 5: Fold again.

Hand 6: I want one raise in the quiz. I'll take my chance here, try to buy the button, and also push BB out of the hand.

Hand 7: Fold.

Hand 8: I hate this hand, lately. Historically, I have called far more than raised. I think though that if there were solid players behind me, I would start to raise this more, and if the solid players either call or re-raise, be pretty careful. One of my big problems is not recognizing post-flop when I'm dominated/second best (until after the last bet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), so this is the sort of hand I'm playing too tentatively.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 PM

1. Fold. If the button were tighter, raise.

2. Raise.

3. Limp.

4. Fold, but I'd limp J9s.

5. Call. I love the one-gappers.

6. Call.

7. Fold.

8. I'd call most of the time. I'd raise if the table's been tight lately. That probably puts it around 75 call/25 raise.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 PM

i think most of you are crazy. most surprising responses were those of btspider and entity...

hand 1: raise. unknowns are typically huge fans of cold-calling, and the CO is out. i've got a reasonable chance to buy the button, and if i don't, i'm up against a bunch of loose players that will be easy to play against after the flop. i can get out easily, i can bet/raise for value easily, they'll call me too much and pay me off... a limp would be fine if the CO were unknown or also loose, because there would STILL be a good chance that i'm getting my multi-way pot even open limping from so late in the game.

edited to add: a limp may still be fine, regardless. i may be overestimating by ability to buy position from MP2. i still think i prefer a raise.

hand 2: raise it up. closer than some, if only because the potential of postflop being tricky is greater than in most of these scenarios. but ATo is +ev against the range of hands these fish will play, and raising will make it the rest of the hand easier to play

hand 3: limp. you have position, but not enough preflop equity to push a raise.

hand 4: raise. you've got a calling station trapped between yourself and a lag, who you can outplay, there's a decent chance you'll get this threeway, or fourway with two terrible players, folding is too weak against this field, and you want position.

hand 4 edited to remove: easy. upon reflection, having this more multiway wouldn't be terrible, and i don't have much showdown value against a calling station. limping might be preferable.

hand 5: limp. you're getting at least four-way action with decent position, and a 5th player isn't a stretch once there's three limpers heading into the button. your hand plays well multi-way, but raising is too strong for this holding, particularly since you need strong implied odds to make this playable.

hand 6: raise sometimes, fold sometimes, call never. there are better spots to play back at a bully, and if the uber-loose sb comes along the good player will come along with a huge range of holdings. so all depends on the bully. if he's the kinda bully to push back until beaten and sometimes 3-bet, fold. if he'll let you buy the button, raise. if you're unsure, flip a coin. if you're still a serious newb, fold, postflop could be tricky, and KTo is an easily dominated hand that's easy to blow money on.

hand 7: call. you're getting 1:5. both are too loose. the hand is easy to get away from postflop. i don't mind folding here, fwiw.

hand 8: totally table dependent. but my default is raise. i'd say 80/20 in favor of a raise. maybe more. i'm having trouble thinking of table conditions where i'd rather call. perhaps with a maniac and at least one solid player on a generally loose table where my raise will accomplish nothing and the solid player will have better position to take advantage of the pot i'm building.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:29 PM

1 - Fold.
2 - Raise.
3 - Call.
4 - Call.
5 - Call.
6 - Raise or fold. Certainly not calling here.
7 - Fold.
8 - Raise 99% and never call. I would fold it at a tough table.

Brad