Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: do you think you know your neighbors?

Actually a lot of sex crimes are "testing" crimes for people developing into more hard core criminals. Real sickness takes time to grow and bloom; when it comes to serial sex criminals, a period of trying out crimes like burglarly and self-exposure is pretty much standard for them to go through as they test their boundaries, and find out what their thrills are and what they're really made of and want to do.

So just because someone stealing panties out of someone's apartment or flashing someone in a parking garage seems fairly minor now, doesn't mean that person is actually fairly harmless or not to be thought much of. Virtually all serial killers got their start doing things like that.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM

Your information is skewed. Sure, virtually all serial killers got their start like that, but virtually all people who "test" their boundaries, find them. That's why the world hasn't crumbled from a criminal rampage despite years of people exposing themselves. I don't think its because we catch them all.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:26 AM

one name that came up for me....LITTLE,RICHARD

zip code 60957....and he's been very bad
Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 AM

I never said anything of the sort.

You're not understanding what I said. I'm not so concerned that some, or even many, or even most people do not become the absolute most horrible criminals on the planet. It's quite enough that some do. The precursor behavior on their developmental path is identical with that of people who decide they've gone far enough and can go no further. My concern is what practical effect having these people around can be.

Sometimes it's mere fear and discomfort and anger, as with a flasher's "indiscretions." Sometimes, that behavior is a signal of acts to come that are more than inconsequential, and you'd ignore that at your own peril -- and at the peril of your family members.

Personally, I can't think of any social theories interesting enough to endanger my family for.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:51 AM

And I can't think of anything beyond my control that is worth more than a passing moments worry. Live in fear at your own peril, but knowing that someone did six months for a dubiously labelled "sex offense" shouldn't change much of anything--ideally you are a well informed enough parent that unsafe sitautions are already prevented, as much as can be reasonably hoped for.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:00 AM

wow, thanks granny. this is my new dating service [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 01:05 AM

Living in fear has nothing to do with living with awareness.

"Nothing bad ever happens to me" is an okay blinder of an attitude to turn to the world if you're young and have nothing to lose but yourself. And it's not all that great there either, but I know a lot of people like that. If you're someone with a family, or who doesn't live in a particularly safe neighborhood, you can't afford that nonsense.

It's a false dichotomy common among inexperienced people who have led safe lives that awareness is synonymous with fear. I'd say that especially for someone with a family, awareness is synonymous with responsiblity, and the lack of it with denial and irresponsibility.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 AM

Don't condescend to me you itinerant little prick.

Read the thread, and see all the "OMG" responses.

You must be great at poker, because you got my number ever-so-quickly you passive-aggressive little bitch.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she is in atlanta so got many returns

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in atlanta, too. started to get very scary when I started seeing child molesters like 5 min down the road. Not as bad as that guy who lives next door to one though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the northern burbs away from all the hotels and apartments and have three in my neighborhood. Two less then ten houses away. Thats why my kid plays in the back yard and not the front!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:27 AM

Man you must be stoned out of your mind.