Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Theory question, heads up.

I agree, so does my software. If he's pushing with his top 25% or more you have a slight edge but not much at all, but if he's pushing with 15% or better you make a clear misstake.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, so does my software. If he's pushing with his top 25% or more you have a slight edge but not much at all, but if he's pushing with 15% or better you make a clear misstake.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the more likely case that he's pushing with the top 50-60% of hands (conservatively speaking)
Old 04-06-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...if...you are certain he doesnt have a pair, how can you even think about folding? you are ahead of ANY hand he could have...

[/ QUOTE ]

not to nitpick but that's not true. there are plenty of non-pair hands that are ahead of 22. for example 53s, 54s, 64s, 65s, KQs, QJs, etc, etc...actually all suited connectors except AKs, 43s, and 32s. also, lots of one-gappers and two-gappers like T7s and even three-gappers like T6s.
of course calling against all those is still +CEV in this spot because of the dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid question, but is AK out here only bc of its limited str8 potential? (as 43 32s?) That sways the %s that much?

So does that mean, if it were possible to put your opponent on an underpair, you're better off calling with JQs than AKs?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 PM

Yup...as long as the pair isn't JJ or QQ. Think about it...you have just as much chance of hitting a pair with QJ as AK. The straight and flush draws are nice bonuses.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup...as long as the pair isn't JJ or QQ. Think about it...you have just as much chance of hitting a pair with QJ as AK. The straight and flush draws are nice bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx...of course I realized that JQ or 78 for that matter is the same in that regard...what I didnt know was that AK, being a non-open ended starting hand for str8s, moved %s by that much (I guess a few clicks...thought it was far less, to be negligible originally)
Old 04-06-2005, 12:47 PM

I could be wrong, but I think its about a 2% bonus for a flush draw and slightly less than that for a straight draw heads up.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:59 PM

good to know...thx bro
Old 04-06-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a very very bad headsup player would push with so few hands. If someone pushes on the very first hand I'm going to assume they are more likely to be someone who is pushing and calling with a reasonable range of hands, and thus Im calling with 22. If they've folded 2 times from the SB, I'm more likely to fold.

However against a good player, folding hands like 22 here is long term suicide.