Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: So right now im up 188 BB in 2 hrs and thinking...

This is like the most results-oriented post ever.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At 10PTBB/100, 8-tabling, 10-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna throw out hard to attain numbers, just make it like 25PTbb/100 while 8-tabling, the $$ is much bigger.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a New York Times article about a Princeton student who made $90,000 on PartyPoker in the last 6 months. It sounds like he's playing 3 tables at once on $2/$4 NL Holdem. Here's the article: Ante Up at Dear Old Princeton: Online Poker Is a Campus Draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing well at Princeton > making $90k in a year at poker at Princeton and doing poorly grade wise.

Easy to elaborate but hard to do so without sounding like a prick.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:02 AM

No, actually it isnt.

This is bc I didnt come to a decision(I still havent) based on results this morning, merely had some thoughts on how I should approach poker.

Ive been a profitable ring game player for a few months.

Before that I was a marginally profitable MTT and STT for a few months.

Basically ive only been playing maybe 9 months of my life so being a consistent winner in ring games without a ton of play shows at least some modicum of progress.

Ive studied the game fairly extensively, and appreciate the risks as I got my head kicked in a while back at 2-4 while tilting and retardly "taking a shot" a few months back.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:26 AM

thats if its 50 hands an hour, theres a tab that gives your exact BB/hr instead of estimating.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 AM

Hi zaxx,

my thoughts on multitabling are:
1)more stressfull? Kindof, playing 8 tables of 6max for 30 mins will seem more like an hour. That's a lot of clicking.

2)No one likes non-thinking nut-peddling, but sometimes thats the most profitable. Basically the less time you have to act determines how ABC you play. If you'd like to make a few moves and expand your game, play less tables.

3) Study, read the high stakes PL/NL forum, and play hands. Remember though that the game the high stakes forum plays is much different than the $100 6max zoo at party. And always work to move up the NL ladder to bigger tougher games.

4) Multitabling tips? Play at peak hours, find the most aggressive tables / largest avg pots, sell the nuts to the 6max'ers. Playerview is also a godsend for decision making.

5) 20-25 hrs/week or 10K hands is plenty for me. But I also spend a lot of time reviewing my play in PT.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who Multitable as a "job":

1) Do you find it overly stressful?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont, but the only reason is because this is very temporary. I'm "pro" for the next 6 months, but only because Im on a leave of absence from school / transferring colleges. I know this is not my future. So I'm treating it like the best job possible.

I really am lazy, recently, too - I've watched more baseball since opening night then hours playing poker, only because as soon as I make some money, I stop for the night. So I guess I dont treat it like a real job, even though it is my job.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Has it lessened your appreciation for the game of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything it has made me appreciate how good some other guys are. I read someone like Cero Z and just wonder how many hours it took to make him into a brilliant poker mind. same with guys like fsu / turnip / etc. I see a hand in a somewhat limited fashion and I know there are other levels I haven't attained yet. This makes poker alot of fun.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Do you have any tips for aspiring err well....semi-pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your entire future, I'm not sure. If this is somewhat temporary:
BANKROLL MANAGEMENT. I underplay my roll alot, and I'm happy I do. The first session afterl eaving college I was scared as hell. Same with the second one. Literally every click of the mouse I felt like I would lose all my money, and be a bum for the next 6 months. (literally, my family is only semi supportive)

[ QUOTE ]
4) Any general tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you can beat the game. Also, find nearby live games. They lessen stress so much.It helps having friends nearby, too.

[ QUOTE ]
5) How many hours do you typically put in a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before baseball season:
On days I'd play live, I'd play till the game broke (so like 4pm to 12pm, for example)
On other days: 6 hours of a straight session of 4 tabling (sometimes 5, I'm trying to add tables, Rvbr has a really cool style that I just cant emulate yet)
On off days: None

Good luck zaxx! I also had very supportive people (friends offline as wel as 2+2) supporting me and "lending" me the confidence to do it.

EDIT: When I say lend, I dont mean money. I've never been staked and I never plan on it. I just mean they've been extra helpful with financial advice.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i currently do 4 table 25NL and make 100 a day in 2-3 hours in a regular bases. but ofcourse i lose sometimes but rarely. i think its more fun and just less boring. i am going to move up to 50nl soon and add up to 8 tables. cant wait. and yes this is my job basically to pay for my tuition but if my luck continues. i might b making more money here then my future engineering job.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite an extrapolation to go from multitabling NL25 to making it a career. Now if you were multitabling NL200 or so then you have a point.

Also, what are your PTBB/100 stats for your NL25 games? Like 30? 40?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am positive one could make a living 4 tabling NL100. Positive.

If you worked hard enough / lived in a place with low cost of living NL50 could work too.

Only could imagine one living off NL25 if they played TONS of tables
Old 04-06-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Only could imagine one living off NL25 if they played TONS of tables

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true now, but before the 100X BB buy in structure, the 25NL's were so push happy. I made more multitabling there than the 50's or 100's. Times are a changin though...
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 PM

<font color="blue">For those who Multitable as a "job":</font>

Like BobboFitos, I'm only pokering it up as a temporary thing.

<font color="blue">1) Do you find it overly stressful?</font>

No, I put in 60 hours for March. My previous part-time jobs always took up 80 - 120 hours / month.

<font color="blue">2) Has it lessened your appreciation for the game of poker?</font>

No, but by the end of some days I'm too tired to read 2+2 (one of the reasons I don't post very often in SSNL, as if anyone cared).

<font color="blue">3) Do you have any tips for aspiring err well....semi-pros?</font>

Take a break when you're tired / burnt out / tilting. Don't force yourself to play the hands if you're playing poorly. However you still need to set a standard in hands to be played. I don't set a win / lose limit, I usually set a time limit.

<font color="blue">4) Any general tips?</font>

Play a lot. Either multi-table a crapload, move up in stakes, or both. Underplay your bankroll, 6-8 buy-in streaks are possible.

<font color="blue">5) How many hours do you typically put in a week?</font>

50 - 60 hours / month is about normal for me. I 8-table NL100 - NL400 6-max (depends on the players) at a time so I only play 3-4 hour sessions normally, but will put in a 6-8 hour sessions to play off bonuses at the last minute.

Sponger / SourBeaver: People (and some respectable posters) have quote 10PTBB/100 as an attainable long term win rate but I have yet to seen a screenshot or somewhat owning up to it. Maybe I'm not as good as I think I am, but if someone's achieving that type of a win rate they're playing too low of stakes or are very rare.