Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 PM

Default New Computer: Which Upgrades Are Worthwhile?

Hi,

This is an update from my previous post, located here.

To sum that post up, I am buying a new computer which will be used with 6 monitors to run a lot of tables, Poker Tracker, player view, etc.

Since that post, I have decided to go with a Digital Tigers Stratosphere Elite, and am curious about which of these upgrades are worthwhile, keeping prices in mind. Here's what I am looking at doing (please feel free to add anything you would upgrade that I haven't listed):

1) Upgrade from 1GB of RAM to 2GB of RAM. $375. I have been told by quite a few people that "Nothing out there uses up more than 1GB of RAM", but I'm not sure if they took into account 20 "nothings" together eating up 1GB of RAM. I can always upgrade later, but I'd rather get it now if I'll need it to run 20+ tables.

2) Upgrade one of the GeForce 6600 GT's (it comes with 2 of those, and 1 Quadro card) to a GeForce 6800 Ultra for use with World of WarCraft, Doom 3, etc. I don't have a price on this yet, but I assume around $300.

3) Upgrade the 2 hard-drives to 400GB for use with RAID-0. This will cost $599 per drive. Again, some have recommended it, while others have said it's barely a noticeable difference. I'm not sure what kind of difference I could tell specifically using poker programs, so I defer to the Zoo. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

4) Upgrade the dual Xeon Processors from 2.8ghz to either 3.0ghz, 3.2ghz, or 3.4ghz. The price to go from 2.8 to 3.4 is $1500. I've heard that as you get to the top of the line stuff, there isn't much noticeable difference for the price you pay. Is that worth $1500? Would there be much of a difference for what I'm doing?

That's all that I can think of right now.

Thanks a ton,

-Brian