Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Cross Country: I-40 or I-80?

[ QUOTE ]
(I had no idea how desolate DC was in terms of Poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, aside from private home games, you're really not going to find much action. I remember Berge20 tried to get some games together a while back, but I think they've kinda fallen to the wayside. The closest you're going to find is up in AC and that's about a 3 hour drive.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 PM

I drove to LA to DC by myself a few months ago...I took 70 all the way from Utah across (15 goes from LA to 70), and it was great. You can drive very fast the whole way...only got pulled over once (in Kansas during morning rush hour), and he let me go with a warning after 2-3 minutes.

I did the trip in 2.5 days on my own by the way (in a Corolla, so I feel your pain in advance)...with 2 drivers who want to get it over with quickly (and don't need hotels to sleep), it can be done in 2 flat.

Even though you said to ignore the scenic parts, driving through Utah and through the middle of the Rockies is absolutely amazing when you're used to the world as DC and its suburbs.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:21 PM

I 80 through Ohio is all tolls, it might be in Indiana too, I can't remember. I 80 in Ohio (on memorial day weekend)will be filled with state troopers looking to brethalize or otherwise hassle out of staters. I know a friend who got a ticket for going 7 mile over the limit on Fourth of July a few years ago. The turnpike will still be a pay road, and will be shitty all through PA. Can't help with the other stretches, but unless something is wrong with the southern route it will probably be a better option.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:41 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. With a mjority of my east coast travel on memorial day, I'm thinking I'll go with a modified Broken Glass Can route:

locals to I-40 in Barstow
I-40 East to OK City
I-44 East to St. Louis
I-64 to I-79 (in WV)
I-79 to I-68 (in WV)
I-68 to I-70 (in MD)
I-70 to I-270 (in MD)

In order to minimize time, tolls, exposure to cops on main thoroughfares, and exposure to extreme climbs, I think this would be the best route. Doing this in four days in going to be ridiculously easy, but that's the way she wants it.