Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Stock my bar

[ QUOTE ]
to be fair the kahlua and rumple together is one mean combo

Ok, $500 of booze, 4 drinks, is that fair to Cup?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, which is why I'm glad you made your post
Old 03-31-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You win.

I still have a thread bookmarked where you talked about tequilas and margarita recipes. Figured this would be the nut post, and I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to keep going but I got distracted. I love this stuff, my liver doesn't, but I do.

Peace,
JT
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Vodka:
Stoli - Regular, Orange, Vanili and Raz(for the ladies) should do it.
or some of the Absolutes, they are fine

[/ QUOTE ]

See...this is where I disagree with the rest of the alchoh....booze enthusiasts. There's always a better option than Absolut. For a base vodka, Fris is better and cheaper. Absolut's clearly not as good as most of those costing $20+/750ml. And the flavored Absolut falls behind Charbay, Finlandia, Hangar 1, etc. Tanqueray Sterling Citrus is excellent. The Mezzaluna had some nice lemon flavor to it as well. Flavored vodka should also be fairly low on your list of priorities. Ugh. I just don't like this brand. They spend so much on advertising, and all they offer is a horrendously overpriced mediocre spirit.

I say this having tried a good 50-60 different bottles. No, really. My friends and I did a series of "vodka appreciation nights" where 10-12 of us would each bring a bottle of premium vodka. I've tried a _lot_ of what's out there. Your money would be better spent on something else.

I'd certainly take Stoli over Absolut as far as price/goodness goes. But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 AM

I would agree on the fris being a damn good buy for the price, svedka also is a good choice as far as that goes.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would agree on the fris being a damn good buy for the price, svedka also is a good choice as far as that goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't recall encountering that one anywhere, but if it's comparable to Fris I'll keep an eye out for it. You seen it anywhere near Southern California?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 AM

But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Up East Fris is $25/bottle. I agree with your preference but it's not the same price as Absolut, must be a distributor thing.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, Tequila is clear, period. Gold=garbage, remember this for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Tall, you are dead wrong on this one.

NT
Old 03-31-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now, Tequila is clear, period. Gold=garbage, remember this for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Tall, you are dead wrong on this one.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Tequila is clear. If it's not, there has been additives, like carmel. The Tequila that has a light tint to it because of the oak barrell aging process, is the good stuff. This is Anejo or 'aged'. But this is not GOLD tequila, gold is aged in large vats. You may be confused.

There is a strict Tequila terminology: Check it out.

Care to explain anything, or 25k members of the forum know you are the tequila expert and I missed something?

Tequila also never has a worm in it. The worm is Mezcal a by product of Tequila. It is also only made in Mexico and his heavily regulated by the Mexican goverment. This is the only thing the goverment does well, it's rumored.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Up East Fris is $25/bottle. I agree with your preference but it's not the same price as Absolut, must be a distributor thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh. Absolut's $32/1.75L here, is it any cheaper there? I'd pay more for Fris than Absolut, although I'm not entirely sure where the limit lies.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tequila is clear. If it's not, there has been additives, like carmel. The Tequila that has a light tint to it because of the oak barrell aging process, is the good stuff. This is Anejo or 'aged'. But this is not GOLD tequila, gold is aged in large vats. You may be confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me on that. For some reason I was thinking that 'anejo' means 'gold.' Responding in haste, etc. Tequila with an actual full-on gold tint (like your standard Cuervo) is scary and gross.

Carry on Mr. Tall....

NT