Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Recommend a notebook and PDA please

Well, I think I'll go with the Sony. I'd have gone with the X series thinkpad if it had a touchpad (the T series is too big). The Alienware wouldn't really be appropriate for work, and I'm not sure I like Dell screens.

As for the handheld I'm still not really clear why I need it, so I may continue with my current system of yellow post-it notes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Instead of regurgitating crap off of Alienware's own website, why don't you do some real world investigation. Head on over to www.notebookforums.com or www.anandtech.com and tell me what you find in regards to alienware's customer support. Additionally, if that't the only point in my argument you can refute with something other than a vague reference about research, then I still believe I have been very convincing. Dude, I appreciate that you like Alienware, everyone likes different stuff. Unfortunately for you though, I keep up on computer technology and know my stuff. In the end, personal preference is all you have, because Alienware is not a superior machine in any sense of it.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM

Buster time and time again all over these boards has demonstrated a great knack for computers and comparisons. I wouldn't be too quick to refute or challenge his comments.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buster time and time again all over these boards has demonstrated a great knack for computers and comparisons. I wouldn't be too quick to refute or challenge his comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard he had sex with his DVD-ROM to try to make Buster-Cyborgs that can run all over the forums, correcting people when they are wrong.

Freakin
Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the T270 is certainly light, but 1280x768 on a 10 inch screen can be brutal in terms of usability
Old 03-28-2005, 05:53 PM

You think it will be too small? I used to use a 10" Sony screen a couple of years ago, but I can't remember what the resolution was. I may try and check it out in a store and see what it looks like.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

most 'small' laptops have 12" 4:3 screens (seldom go above 1024x768)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thinkpads are the best pc laptops bar none. a t42 with 1440x1050 resolution will fit the bill. very thin/light as well, peerless build quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey 'Stro,

how do you get that type of resolution? I can't seem to customize the screen...lookin in the wrong place?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:58 PM

i've done 1024x768 on a 10" for extended periods of time. it was ok as long as you have good eyesight, but not very comfortable. the thing i hated most about the small sony i had was the keyboard. i hope you don't plan on ripping out any notes or anything. the smaller footprint and mis-arranged keys led to a ton of typos with me. things like very small shift keys etc droves me nuts. it's all personal preference of course. i'd roll with at least a 12" screen though, and a 14" if you plan on having this as a sort of mobile desktop where you can have a nice screen and keyboard. you can get some very light and very mobile laptops with 12" and 14" screens.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Well its mainly going to be for word processing and email, so I could always turn the resolution down to 1024 (I assume?)