Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: My Best Ever Lay Down!

oh man... did you SEE the ridiculous sample size?

this guys played like... 1000 hands on-line, and is winning at roughly a 10bb/100hands...

it's going to be an ugly, ugly fall...

although how he got to those reasonable pfr and vp$ip playing like this i'll never know...

note: big laydowns = high% of winning money at showdown.
big laydowns ALSO = folding the best hand too frequently.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 PM

If you've really made $3000 like that you're a pretty big walking mathematical aberration.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi there I'm John Bowman aka Delliks (my online user name) which is Skilled backwards..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty appropriate name actually. Just sayin'
Old 03-17-2005, 10:50 PM

I just looked at the blog, and take back my 'was this a joke' comment (though I stand by the picture of Turd Furguson).

Now, TyingHard, no one on here is making a personal attack on you, it's 100% a poker attack. Before you go any further in your poker career, you NEED to read both: Theory of Poker and Small Stakes Holdem.

I've looked at two pages on your blog (both in the limit advice section) and saw some big problems.

1. You are not using the proper odds when drawing. Just because you are 7-1 to make a 3 outter by the river, doesn't mean you can call at bet getting 7-1 on the flop. This is because you will possibly have to call another bet on the turn. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT CONCEPT, and one that is frequently misunderstood.

2. Saying you need a HUGE pot to continue with QJd on a board of Ad 4d 4s because of a fear of a full house or a king high flush draw is terrible. Like, Slotboom-esque terrible. The pot needs to be slightly bigger than normal. But certainly not huge.

Read the board. There are a lot of great posters here who will help your game.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:21 PM

i seriously thought this was the funniest troll posts ever...

then i found out it was real

go check out his PT stats...LOL
Old 03-18-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh man... did you SEE the ridiculous sample size?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the best part....

[ QUOTE ]
this guys played like... 1000 hands on-line, and is winning at roughly a 10bb/100hands...

it's going to be an ugly, ugly fall...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... Unless he sticks around here, buys some books and is on an extreme learning curve....

One suggestion Trying..... If you do start to have a downward swing don't be afraid to drop down a few levels to playing 1/2 or 2/4. In fact you may want to do that right now. It's hard to say on limited information but from your OP here and what I've read on your blog you're got A LOT to learn (and don't we all!!) I'd really suggest picking up some learning materials and studying up on the game, perfecting the new things you learn at some lower limit tables and moving up from there. On the other hand if you have some kind of unlimited bankroll and/or can freely reload go ahead and learn the game where you're at. I don't know much about the games at Pacific or UB... maybe they're really juicy?!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: None of the following is intended as an attack. Take it as the best serious, honest advice I have to give you.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok this is my Best ever Lay Down, Id like to here your views on this hand and perhaps any great lay downs you've made yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I'm surprised you didn't get flamed by at least 10 seperate posters on this line alone.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm on Pacific Poker $5-$10 as usual, In the Big Blind on a very loose table I look down and see KK with 5 limpers, now I no if I raise not one of these players will fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

You've certainly got the best hand here - not raising with the best hand is BAD. Your raise isn't intended to get people to fold - it's intended to build a pot with the best hand pre-flop and a hand that is a favorite to win (even against 5 loose opponents) at showdown. Also - if they're not going to fold now, they're probably not going to fold later either - why not juice up the pot with the best hand.

*** THE SMALL BLIND HAD AA SO I DIDNT HAVE THE BEST HAND HERE OR DOES KK BEAT AA IN THIS FORUM? *** thanks for the rest of your advice though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 09:01 AM

Everyone has already told you that you played this hand dreadfully. What is obvious from both this post and from your blog is your extremely weak-tight nature. Indeed, your blog section on "trainted cards:"

http://www.holdemlife.co.uk/64902/68049.html

further demonstrates your tendency to see monsters under the bed and to completely discount any outs you have unless they are crystal clear. I strongly suggest that you immediately read both TOP and Miller's SSHE.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:10 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I think the turn check was worse than not raising preflop.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"It's funny, because its bigger than a normal hat" - Turd Furguson

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaahaha, wow!! that is so classic. i didn't think i'd see funny posts like this in ssh

btw, i'm a big time expos fan!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm on Pacific Poker $5-$10 as usual, In the Big Blind on a very loose table I look down and see KK with 5 limpers, now I no if I raise not one of these players will fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

You've certainly got the best hand here.....

*** THE SMALL BLIND HAD AA SO I DIDNT HAVE THE BEST HAND HERE OR DOES KK BEAT AA IN THIS FORUM? *** thanks for the rest of your advice though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we call "results oriented" thinking. When you are in the BB with 5 limpers and you see KK - you assume that you have the best hand. There's only one hand (AA) that beats you at that point and with no raise you're not giving anyone credit for having that hand (in fact I don't give anyone credit for having it if it's just one (and sometimes two) raises before me).

Just because you were actually beat the whole time does not justify playing the hand weak-tight and certainly doesn't make this "The Best Laydown Ever".