Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I first started playing six-max I was extremely aggressive, and for UTG I would generally raise A9s and muck A8s/A9o. But after I had played it longer I began mucking A9s and raising with ATs/ATo (or limping, sorta depending on my mood and how the table was playing). I think the decision is close, and in the long run it probably won't matter much what you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Soah:

The more hands you play, the better feel youll get for the game, and eventually youll play every hand when it come: sometimes it will be a good time to raise A8s UTG, and sometimes its a fold. When you start playing by a chart, sharks like me will pick up on it and rip the [censored] out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if you respond to this post of advice less than respectively, ill challenge you heads up, and then based on my experience (the jewish kid with the topgun icon) youll decline.

regards.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: HIJACK for Bragging Purposes

[ QUOTE ]
i have adjusted my play to more hands preflop and more annoyance raises for those reasons. so do you show big bluffs cero?

matt

[/ QUOTE ]

of course.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM

You may have missed this part: "or limping, sorta depending on my mood and how the table was playing." I suppose you could say that I play *every* hand based upon the circumstances -- it's just that for most hands I am going to come to the same decision regardless of the specific situation. While things like steal equity vary based upon the circumstances, the math doesn't change. If you have a hand like A4 UTG, it takes a lot of steal equity to overcome the fact that you're likely dominated and will very rarely flop anything strong enough to win a showdown in a big pot.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are good enough at NLHE then starting with 1k at NL $100 you should be able to build up to NL 2k and $200 easy, and then from there to 4k and NL $400 easy and you wiwll be at 1k buy in soon. if you are not good enough then you might get stuck at a lower level and that is good that way you can't lose all yoru money

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that $4K is a big enough bankroll to play the 400NL?

Are you also saying that if you've built your bankroll to $4K playing the 200NL that you are good enough to play the 400NL and win?

I ask because this happens to be my exact situation at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

LuvDemNuts, I've always been more libreal with my bankroll than most and I've never had a problem, but I've been lucky too. I've taken some hits when moving up in stakes a bunch of times and I had to drop down and build back up a number of times but I don't have any responsibility with my money, and it's most challenging for me that way and get better faster and in the long run make more money so I like doing it that way.

So I'd say 4k is enough for NL$400 if you are smart, and if you know you ahve to drop if you lose some. Also I would say if you can build from 2k at NL200 to 4k at NL400 quickly and you feel confident and this is the key - you see yourself getting the money in with the best hand WHEN if you were your opponent you wouldn't have given as much action, then I'd say you can try higher stakes. Everyone has different opinions on bankroll managemant though and everyone tells me I am kind of crazy but this is my opinion on this.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 PM

btw in case i wasn't clear, what i mean is if you are ready to play 1k buy in nl then you shoudln't have a problem building up a proper bankroll for it at lower levels. (which is why i don't get why people ask for staking, if thye are good players they should build up to it easily
Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are good enough at NLHE then starting with 1k at NL $100 you should be able to build up to NL 2k and $200 easy, and then from there to 4k and NL $400 easy and you wiwll be at 1k buy in soon. if you are not good enough then you might get stuck at a lower level and that is good that way you can't lose all yoru money

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that $4K is a big enough bankroll to play the 400NL?

Are you also saying that if you've built your bankroll to $4K playing the 200NL that you are good enough to play the 400NL and win?

I ask because this happens to be my exact situation at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

LuvDemNuts, I've always been more libreal with my bankroll than most and I've never had a problem, but I've been lucky too. I've taken some hits when moving up in stakes a bunch of times and I had to drop down and build back up a number of times but I don't have any responsibility with my money, and it's most challenging for me that way and get better faster and in the long run make more money so I like doing it that way.

So I'd say 4k is enough for NL$400 if you are smart, and if you know you ahve to drop if you lose some. Also I would say if you can build from 2k at NL200 to 4k at NL400 quickly and you feel confident and this is the key - you see yourself getting the money in with the best hand WHEN if you were your opponent you wouldn't have given as much action, then I'd say you can try higher stakes. Everyone has different opinions on bankroll managemant though and everyone tells me I am kind of crazy but this is my opinion on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree w/ this at 100%.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as losing $2K at $400NL won't affect your play at $200NL when you have to move back down with the remaining $2K then I say move up and give it a go. .If you feel like losing $2K will hamper your play and put you on tilt you may want to wait for a bigger bankroll.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Big jump? Nah... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Hi Matt,

[ QUOTE ]
do you show big bluffs cero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against bad players, or those who I strongly suspect will tilt. Most of the good players on there will never see me bluff them unless they catch me. But I'm sure they still assume that I do, since my play (not just my image) is unmistakably loose and wild. A problem for them is that I sometimes make very large "in between" bets--meaning I have a medium-strong hand, and may get a desirable fold OR a desirable call, or both in one hand. Thus, they may correctly suspect that I'm not strong, but a bluff-catching hand may still not beat my hand. That is the most annoying thing by far, I think; to "catch" someone bluffing, and ultimately get value bet by middle pair.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:25 PM

The good ol' two-way bet. I love that play, but don't know how to use it effectively yet. Sklansky wrote an essay about it a long time ago in some book of his...

Cero, could you post an example of this where someone called you with a worse hand? Or just PM me one if you don't want to post it. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]