Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: interesting 5&5 hand against maniac

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm not certain risking my whole stack here was +ev, but i'm pretty sure it was (probably marginally).....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
while the st8 was more likely than a bluff, i don't think it was by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that statement and your prior description of this opponent are anywhere close to correct, this was not a marginally +EV spot, it was a hugely +EV spot.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:57 PM

What I'm saying is... If you look at that spot I think you can clearly rule out 2 pair. What kind of a moron is going to put in a huge raise with 2 pair after 2 people have clearly showed interest on that type of a flop. I think you can also make the same argument for either of the lower sets. With that said what can he have? A straight or some type of a flush draw. If he knows the math well as seems to be implied here then I would argue that he either has the straight or a straight flush draw. If I'm right you're -ev and you're gonna create huge swings for yourself even if you are slightly +ev.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 PM

I've never been one to worry about huge swings...I've got an adequate bankroll, which is essential for these types of games....If you're sincerly worried about the chips you have in front of you, you're probably underbankrolled, or you don't have the heart (whatever that means) to play in the game....

As for his range of hands...I said he's got math skills, and i've seen him apply them....But most times he doesn't.....Sometimes this guy just felt like bluffing....And he probably did not put too much stock in the fact that it was 6-way action....When he bet's $1100, most people usually fold....

It seems to me you would advocate waiting until i had the nutz for this guy....I think that strategy will get you killed (and at the very least, is extremly boring [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 02:05 PM

If you're folding top set in this spot against this type of opponent, you will lose.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you ascribe some intelligence to him you have to give him credit for a straight or SF draw in my mind (or maybe just the nut flush draw). I mean can you really expect him to have 2 pair or a lower set after it goes bet, raise, reraise huge? I think you're probably plus ev to toss it here against this guy and most players. The only way I'd want to put my whole stack in here is against someone that I consider to be really tilted out or just a moron in general

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight: Villain is 65:35 fave
SF draw: Villain is 55:45 dog
AsKs: Villain is 75:25 dog
Middle set: Villain is 93:7 dog

And yes, MANY players will raise big there with a set, not wanting to let draws get there cheap.

To not want to run it in this situation against the player as described is ridiculous.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time, he probably saw me as a tight player who folded to a lot of raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd never played with you before...? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

scrub
Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Re: interesting 5&5 hand against maniac

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the time, he probably saw me as a tight player who folded to a lot of raises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He'd never played with you before...?

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time i was playing pretty tight. I had also folded several times when the maniac put me to the test. There are some tables I can push over, and some i can't. This was clearly one of those i could not push over (maniac had everybody in gamble mode).

That's what's so frustrating to me about this maniac. He can take lot's of people off their games. YOu have to adjust to him....Hence my "he causes a lot of short run headaches comment." I'd rather play with ultra-tight players anyday.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Do you really think this guy would raise 900 on top of your bet on a stone cold bluff with that board? When I first read the situation it seemed clear to me that all he could possibly hold was a made straight or straight flush draw, and folding is a safe play against both. Were there more money in the pot, it would be a different story, but in this case you can muck and save your chips for a better situation.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I first read the situation it seemed clear to me that all he could possibly hold was a made straight or straight flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who thinks this needs to re-read the post. If you still think this after re-reading it, you need to seriously re-evaluate the way you play against non-straightforward and aggressive opponents.

aggie did a great job describing his opponent. Many of you seem to be completely ignoring all that essential information.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Correct as usual.

Magik [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]