Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: The Official Who Needs God Thread

I'm not sure that he was refering to the idea that gambling is against the scriptures, etc. I hate to put words in his mouth, but here i aggree with him, but for reasons completly other than you have assumed (but this IS all speculation):

playing poker is, more or less, an unproductive profession. players genrally are not contributing in a meaningful way to society (by helping the needy, spreading the gospels, etc, except for the 'i'm providing entertainment' rationalization), while most religious people tend to at least claim to value such contributions.

professional poker playing is such a cutthroat, cynical, dog-eat-dog vocation that there's little room for the christian 'turn the other cheek, all men are brothers, etc mentality.

Gambling IS a vice, for some people, the sins of avarice, sloth, etc are tied into it in the minds of non-gamblers.

But then again (i'll argue the other side, here, just because i am intrested to see where my ramblings are leading me...)

Doyle Brunson is a devout Christian, as are many of the pro players on this site. I don't think there's anything in his outlook/ behaviour that really is at odds with christianity.

and, of course, as any good player knows, poker isn't really 'gambling' in the strict sense (not like roulette, dlots, etc)

i dunno, it's an interesting issue. someone should do a poll to find out what percentage of this forum is religious (i'm assuming that we all play poker).

here's something else that's... interesting. did you notice that you assumed he was not only implying that gambling is incompatible with religion, but you assumed a specific religion, christianity? (i'm not saying that the latter isn't a fair assumption- it is, but it's still telling)

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these points, Wacki (i always enjoy your posts).
Old 02-08-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real reason I am not explaining, from what I realized, is that I am not expressive or intelligent enough to explain it in a way that will not offend most religious people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna save this and use it if you don't mind.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:46 AM

This is a pretty sweeping generalization. Do you think that all college professors (PhDs) don't believe in God? I am not saying all of them do or even half, but they are a pretty educated group.

Also, is there any reason to believe that poker players are "educated?" And even if you meant "educated" in a non traditional sense, why would you assume that poker players have this "education?"

craig
Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The real reason I am not explaining, from what I realized, is that I am not expressive or intelligent enough to explain it in a way that will not offend most religious people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna save this and use it if you don't mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha incase I make a ZeeJustin or PartygirlUK type post? Thank god, if it helps me never to post something like that.

To clarify though, I have some deep, deep thoughts on religion that just sit in my head, and I really am trying to figure out an intelligent way to express them. I can't yet.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<---- Christian

[/ QUOTE ]
Catholic, even.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 AM

Zeno,
Have you read The Case Against God by George Smith?

I am just going through it now and find it quite enjoyable.

D.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 AM

Most religions.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<----Agnostic

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-08-2005, 02:58 AM

My friends and i had a saying that we used to replace "god damn." It was "fvck god." It worked very well for us.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:05 AM

Isn't believing in God sort of a freeroll?