Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: quiting my job for poker was a bad idea

It is likely that I am severely overestimating the intelligence of the people in charge.

Now I think about it, they screwed Rusty Jedi over because he declared gambling.

I said then, and I still believe it, that I wouldn't be able to work for someone who couldn't understand the simple math behind being a winning gambler.

Lori
Old 01-28-2005, 01:14 PM

Understanding the math and having an opinion on the morality of being a pro gambler are two very different things. I don't think math is the problem that employers have with gambling.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:24 PM

If you're going to lie, I'd go with saying you were taking care of a sick relative. I use that for a work break in my history and it makes the interviewer very uncomfortable and they will quickly change the subject.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 PM

I took 6 months off after accepting a buy-out as part of an out-source.

In the first interview I had after my "sabbitical", I told them I didn't do anything for 6 months because I needed a break and could afford it. I told them I was refreshed and anxious to get back to work (that was the only part that was a lie).

They hired me the next day.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Uh oh, now I really am lost.

You're saying that someone who understood the math, understood that you won at the game and understood how to calculate your risk of ruin and expected wages would still think you were wrong for doing it?

If so, this thread is no longer in my range of things I'm ever going to understand.

I have come across people who thought it was 'bad' because they thought I was going to lose all my money, but have never encountered someone who understood the math that thought it was bad.

Lori
Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is likely that I am severely overestimating the intelligence of the people in charge.

Now I think about it, they screwed Rusty Jedi over because he declared gambling.

I said then, and I still believe it, that I wouldn't be able to work for someone who couldn't understand the simple math behind being a winning gambler.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a question of intelligence or being able to understand the math, it's just ignorance. Most employers don't know anything about poker or how it can be profitable, simply because they have no reason to know about it.

However, they are correct in assuming that most poker players are losers. I understand from my own experience that a person can win and even make a living, but I probably would view it as a negative factor if someone mentioned it in an interview or on their resume. Most players are losers, and it's not worth my time to attempt to deduce whether a given applicant falls into the 10%-20% that actually do win, or whether he/she is just another losing gambler.

By making a career in poker, you are voluntarily entering into a stereotyped profession. If I were ever to quit my day job an go pro, I would mix a hell of a lot of independent software consulting as well. If anyone outside my close friends or immdiate family asked what I was doing, my response would be "freelance software, internet consulting, blah blah blah". Definitely not "professional poker player".
Old 01-28-2005, 01:43 PM

Most players are losers, and it's not worth my time to attempt to deduce whether a given applicant falls into the 10%-20% that actually do win, or whether he/she is just another losing gambler.

That makes a lot of sense.

I still find it amazing that people are encouraged to lie about stuff, I guess that's just another reason that I'm unemployable [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 01-28-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f I were ever to quit my day job an go pro, I would mix a hell of a lot of independent software consulting as well. If anyone outside my close friends or immdiate family asked what I was doing, my response would be "freelance software, internet consulting, blah blah blah". Definitely not "professional poker player".

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would tender for work just so you could avoid telling people you are a professional poker player.

You should give less credence to the opinions of others.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most players are losers, and it's not worth my time to attempt to deduce whether a given applicant falls into the 10%-20% that actually do win, or whether he/she is just another losing gambler.

That makes a lot of sense.

I still find it amazing that people are encouraged to lie about stuff, I guess that's just another reason that I'm unemployable [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't lie, I would just highlight certain parts more than others.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you would tender for work just so you could avoid telling people you are a professional poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. I do enjoy doing independent consulting, and even if poker didn't existing I would still like venture out into my own business.
[ QUOTE ]

You should give less credence to the opinions of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't give a damn what people's opinions are deep in their heart of hearts, but I do care about having to deal with the inevitable ignorant blubbering which follows telling people you're a poker pro, regardless of whether people like it or hate it. Some will consider you a degenerate gambler, but others will keep asking you when you're going to be in the WSOP, which I find almost equally annoying.