Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Cashing out after Whoring

[ QUOTE ]
Rich, did you even read my post above? I am a pure beginner to hold'em and I managed to clear the Empire bonuses with a little profit on top of the bonus. I simply am trying to follow SSH and just doing that is enough to make $$ in small stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich only selectively reads posters that agree with him.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is zero evidence that it increases winnings for newbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I started playing online the end of September. Started on PokerStars 0.05/0.10, moved to Paradise 0.10/0.20 and then to Party (Party/Empire/PokerNow) mainly 0.50/1. I've played a little $1/$2 and some $2/$4.

In actual winnings from play, I'm up about $300.
From bonuses I've earned $600.

If I had played a little worse and just broke even, I would still be ahead the $600 in bonuses. If I had played a whole lot worse and lost $300 from my play, I would still be ahead $300 because of the bonuses.

Given that on most sites, you clear the bonuses just by being dealt in on a raked hand, you could play on those sites, always check/fold from the BB, fold from every other position and probably still make money.

For example, say you are playing on Party at $0.50/$1. You deposit $500 for a 20% reload bonus. So you have a $100 bonus that you need to play 500 hands to clear. For a full table, you will pay $0.75 each round for your small/big blinds. Let say that 5 of every 10 hands gets raked to qualify. Then 100 times around the table would get you your 500 raked hands. 100 * $0.75 is $75. $100 bonus less $75 in blinds is $25.

Heck, just check auto-fold and walk away ;-)

Now sure, sometimes there won't be 10 people at the table and sometimes there might be fewer than 5 in 10 raked hands -- but hey, sometimes there will be more.

Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a zero sum game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really true. The money changing hands among the players adds up to zero, but rake and bonuses both have an effect. And a typical deposit/reload bonus will pay out way more than a low-limit player will contribute in rake over the # of hands it takes to clear it.