Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Take a break from school?

[ QUOTE ]
i have no job that i would get "attached" to

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem isn't necessarily that you get attached to something else. It's more like you get detached from school.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Computer Programmers that I knew/know all went to business school. But that was in 2000, so when that stuff was all new.

Of course I know that architects and engineers and scientists don't get a B.S. In finance. But for someone with no direction as far as a career, business school is the best hedge as you can work anywhere from a non-profit/governement/teaching/advertising/media/design/retail field.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Mark...

My point is, most people, never figure out what they "want to do" until many years out of college, at which point a degree in that field doesn't mean [censored]. Just get the degree part over with.

I agree that many people don't know what they want to do until after college. At least from what I've heard(I'm still in college) I'm coming from a different point of view than the majority of people, trying to give him a different perspective. Most people(parents, grandparents, friends) think that getting a job is the way to go, and that working for someone else is what you should strive for. Mark, you may want to sit back and think about your interests, and maybe you could already do something to make a living, you just aren't thinking in the right state of mind. If you go to school, do it for yourself, don't do it because your parents say you need to so you can get any job.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Computer Programmers that I knew/know all went to business school. But that was in 2000, so when that stuff was all new.

[/ QUOTE ]

what was new, programming? hardly. business school doesn't provide you with any of the skills necessary to obtain and perform in a real entry-level programming job, period.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Ummm. You're wrong. First line of MY Resume....

Fordham, Class of 2000, College Of Business Administration, Dual Major/ Finance and Marketing. (Not even Info Tech)
Second line...

Consultant Level I )))Software, NY NY

More examples..My friend who was an Information Technology Major in the Fordham CBA has worked for Razorfish, and now is a big cog at Google. Also worked for CSC briefly and Scient.

You know that Business School has different majors like..

E-Commerce/Marketing/International Business Communications/Business Management..

It aint all Wall St. stuff.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:40 PM

I didn't read though the rest of the posts, but I'd like to say to that it's a bad idea to go to college when you don't know what you want to study. I've been going to college almost continuously since I was 17. I'm 22 now and I'm just deciding on a major I'll stick with. It would have been a much better idea for me to take some time off and work for a year or so. Since you don't aren't sure what you want to do yet, go ahead and take the semester off, make some money and try to figure out what you would like to study.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:43 PM

notice what I said, which was business school doesn't provide the skills necessary to be a programmer. so, I am curious how you learned how to program? most people who's resume looks like yours get hired by a big consulting company and then trained in basic programming, and most of them go on to write terrible code until they get put elsewhere [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. most of them aren't very good programmers (not directed at you, I've just interviewed a lot of people whose resumes look like that).

if you learned how to code in business school, I'm obviously wrong. my guess is you did not. but you can color me shocked if you did.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-07-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More examples..My friend who was an Information Technology Major in the Fordham CBA has worked for Razorfish, and now is a big cog at Google. Also worked for CSC briefly and Scient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was careful to limit my remarks to programming specifically. your friend worked as a programmer all these places?

I've gotta say also that your perspective on this topic has to be severly clouded by graduating when you did (I graduated in 2000 as well). there were so many jobs in nyc then that everyone and their mother was getting hired as a "web developer" and many weren't even qualified for that.

how many business majors do you think IBM,microsoft,google hires as entry-level programmers? my guess is right around 0. when I said "real entry-level job" I was mainly talking about places like this, as opposed to places like PWC.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-07-2005, 04:50 PM

No you're right. I was hired and trained. I wasn't bad, I just didn't like it.

but you wrote this:

[ QUOTE ]

what was new, programming? hardly. business school doesn't provide you with any of the skills necessary to obtain and perform in a real entry-level programming job, period.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just proving, I obtained and kept (as long as I wanted it) job.

Anywhere here's Fordham's Business School's IS link...

web page
Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm not trying to dis you or your degree, btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. as I'm sure you know, programming is more of a trade, and you just have to have some sort of background in it to be able to do it well. lots of jobs in engineering are like that, a random degree isn't enough. but point taken, my initial statement was incorrect.

--turnipmonster