Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Making of \"Tilt\"

The funniest part of the preview was the part where they start bragging about they've got real chips. "Our chips even feel real!" Sheesh, since when can I feel things on tv.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:37 AM

I'll probably just bittorrent it.

Wait, did I say that or think it....
Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 AM

Default I spit coca cola out my nose when I read this?

R u F/cking serious?
[ QUOTE ]
[snip]I mean, I still watch reruns of Full House and Family Matters. Stuff like is just meant to be entertainment, don't get angry because of minimal poker content.[/snip]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM

Hiya -

Like many around here I enjoyed Rounders, so when I saw that Tilt had the same producers/creaters/writers, I figured that I would give the show a chance.

The difference is that Rounders had GOOD ACTORS. I'd be willing to bet that if these Tilt actors had the lines from Rounders we would have never watched the movie based on previews/trailes alone. In fact, the horrible delivery of their lines made it seem that the dialog wasn't realistically written - I had a difficult time believing any of it (except the character who is balding, has a marshall's badge I think, I think I would enjoy watching that character go on...kind of like the crazy professional wrestler that everyone likes...wait I digress...)

So after the preview, I am LESS likely to watch. I usually give any new show with promise a chance to develop and get better (Seinfeld was HORRIBLE when it first aired and now I watch the pilot thinking what a great show it was going to be...), but here - I'm not sure I want to give away an hour of my time. I'd rather hear Vince's nicknames for the cards.

I will say it's good for poker as I think the average viewer will like it - there is a bunch of junk still on television - and will want to play like them. Just be on the lookout for the Matador style of showing cards and the cheesy dialog at the tables.

PB
Old 01-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Just curious, but with a name like Don Everest, wouldn't a more suitable nickname be "the Mountain". "the Matador"? WTF.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 PM

One should watch Tilt in the same way they would have watched Playmakers. Not for the poker, but for the entertainment. Now if its a bad show than its a bad show, but if it just has bad poker, well what the hell do you expect. Most sports movies don't have very realistic sports concepts. Even less sports tv shows have very good sports concepts. I'm sure the same is true with games like poker. The best sports stories, and concepts, are too good to be true, and thats what makes them so good in real life. If someone scripted the red sox winning the world series the way they did this year, coming back from 3-0, people would say how ridiculous that was, but the fact that it happened makes its incredible. Same with the miracle on ice with the USA hockey team in Lake Placid.

Basically my point here is that you have to expect the poker playing to be cheesy in the show. The same way the football in playmakers was cheesy. But give the story line a chance. I think a lot of people enjoyed Playmakers because it was so over the top. You can probably go even farther with Poker because it does have the reputation of dealing with the seedy underbelly of gambling, even though now its becoming more and more prominent in pop-culture.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Shade could easily have been the worst movie of all time. That movie hit the "so bad it's good level," and then plummeted so far into the bowels of cinema that it just sucked all over again. I've never witnessed such a flagrant misuse of poker terminology (i.e. "buying the pot" comes to mean betting more than your opponent has, thus causing him to lose the pot. If it were that easy, I'd be a much more successful poker player.) My favorite part was the introduction to Jamie Foxx...

He's playing Hold 'Em at an "underground" poker club. If my memory serves me, I think they're playing at a blackjack table, and he's playing head's up with another guy. Well, Mr. Foxx goes all in with his trip nines (nines in the hole) and it's an obvious, but unfortunate call for his opponent who has pocket kings on a ten high board. Suffice it to say, a king rolls off on the turn. Ooh. Bad beat for Jamie, huh? But he just puts up his finger and says, "just wait a minute." When that fourth nine hits the river, Mr. Foxx lets out a triumphant, "that's how we do!" And pulls in the pot.

WHAT???? Did anyone do one iota of research for this film? I've met a lot of stupid assholes in my life, especially at the card tables. But still, never once have I seen someone act so nonchalant about that one outer hitting the river to make four of a kind. What an utter abomination.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But still, never once have I seen someone act so nonchalant about that one outer hitting the river to make four of a kind. What an utter abomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it all the time, just in case.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad writing is simply bad writing and it looks like this show has plenty of that

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah these people miss the real reason we bash it.

It's supposed to be just entertainment and not informative?
Really??! Wow.. shocker.

As you alreay pointed out, Bob, the fact is the show will be bad entertainment. The fact that it's hugely inaccurate is a secondary gripe.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One should watch Tilt in the same way they would have watched Playmakers. Not for the poker, but for the entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the point. By all accounts the show looks to be horrible entertainment.