Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: How about the Story from the Gay press:

The article doesn't say (unless I missed it) that the parents held the kids out of the tolerance video. Rather, it says that a large number of kids skipped the video. There is a very big difference.

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't see why students should be allowed to skip sex ed but not these videos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Students aren't allowed to just "skip" sex ed.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is why I am interested in seeing how this plays out with the ACLU. I cant see then forcing the viewing and I cant see them walking away from an agreement. A renegotiated agreement is in the offing -- most likely.

Incidentally, this is right on point with Cyrus' little sermon on hate crime legislation in another thread. Until the people in KY realize that their position is wrong for our society (if that is so, as I believe it to be) you can not legislate (or criminalize) them into changing their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with all this.

[ QUOTE ]
Showing and discussing tolerance videos however improves the chances that the next generation will change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree with this. It seems to me that the people who are the most prejudiced would be the least likely to pay attention to these videos.

Elwood: Students may not be able to just skip sex ed, but they can just get a note from their parents saying that they object to it or whatever. Or just forge a note. That's how it was when I was in high school, anyway. Speaking practically, this amounts to about the same thing.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Elwood: Students may not be able to just skip sex ed, but they can just get a note from their parents saying that they object to it or whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing in the article suggested to me that this was the case with the kids skipping the tolerance video.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: ACLU to sue to force Gay indoctrination at schools

The kiddies will have to watch Robert Smigel's "The Ambiguously Gay" duo cartoons fron SNL.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:32 AM

Nope, it's Swedish for how are you doing on the bet. Which you of course understood (not even I think you are that stupid), but prefered not to answer. Your bet has been called sir, and you failed miserably. But go ahead, dig deeper, please. That way we might get rid of you.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 AM

How would you discipline them? On what grounds?

Since when is causing a distraction in the classroom not against the rules?

That's just silly. Of course it's relevant and by addressing the core issues instead of solely using the band-aid of tough discipline you can prevent future problems.

The issue is that the video in question constitutes the school saying that teasing for this specific reason get's special attention, rather than taking the position that all teasing will be punished.

This is similar to hate-crime laws that make the thought behind the crime the issue, rather than the crime itself.

To be clear. Kids have every right to hate gays as long as they don't act on that hate. I'm not saying I agree with that hate, it's just that addressing issues like that is not the job of the schools.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:47 AM

Default As usual he was right.

Cyrus -- here's the odour you were looking for.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue is that the video in question constitutes the school saying that teasing for this specific reason get's special attention, rather than taking the position that all teasing will be punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the video was about tolerance in general and there was a segment about gay issues.

[ QUOTE ]
Since when is causing a distraction in the classroom not against the rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

And what if all the teasing occurs in the hallway or lunch or somewhere else but the effects are felt in the classroom. That is much more likely than directly in the classroom.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:31 AM

Tolerance should be extened to people not disgusting revolting and immoral behaviors. People have every right to engage in whatever sexual behavior they wish to, they also have no right to force people to accept their perversions as normal or acceptable. This social-engineering campaign by berkely professors and NY media men has been turned back America has been retook and I expect alot of changes...for liberals who cant TOLERATE(lol) this Canada is due north take a trip.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM

There is no Sweden its new name is little Turkey and its new official religion is Sunni Islam...get with the program