Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Bonds asterisk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't see anything wrong w/ weight-lifting. That is all natural. I am too ignorant on medications and physiology to comment on the effects of the other substances so I won’t try and fake it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything natural about it. You weren't boprn with that strength. It didn't come from doing anything natural. You set out lifting for the specific purpose of increasing your strength. It's just another artificial way to increase ability.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weight lifting is indeed natural. If you don't like the image of a man on a bench in a gym, imagine him throwing hay bales or something. The process is completely natural to build up strength through repeated use of your muscles.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 PM

I don't see why it's an advantage if everyone can do it. Why are people improving golf clubs to hit balls farther, but baseball bats have to stay heavy wooden clubs. And why can't athletes get the most physical power by any means possible. If they want to sacrifice their health for money why should we stop them.

I'm serious, I'm not very sporty so I don't understand.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:19 PM

MLB imposed no penalty before the new CBA.

No automatic penalty and no testing for steroids under piror cbas. But the simple fact of the matter is its illegal to possess steroids without a prescription, in much the same manner as if one were to posses oxycotin without a prescription, or to possess cocaine at all. The prior CBAs all have language permitting MLB to punish players for possessing, using, etc illegal drugs- ala Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, etc. Baseball just didn't test for steroids at that time, but had an MLB player been arrested with steroids prior to the current CBA, baseball could have punished that player.

[ QUOTE ]
Weight lifting is indeed natural. If you don't like the image of a man on a bench in a gym, imagine him throwing hay bales or something. The process is completely natural to build up strength through repeated use of your muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing my point. Would a baseball player just naturally go say, "I'm going to lift heavy things becaue it's fun."? No. Not unless he is doing it for the specific purpose of building strength. Anything done for the specific purpose of building strength is artificial. The guy lifting hay bales is doing so because he needs to put the hay somewhere, not to gain strength. If he is then it's unnatural. I'm not saying weight lifting should be banned, and steroids not. These are two extremes. I'm trying to figure out where in the middle the line is drawn.

http://www.wood-tang.com/2003/06/the...corking-a-bat/
Old 12-03-2004, 05:23 PM

The article only debunks the "more home runs from corking" myth, I didn't see anything about the "increased ability to make contact" line of thought/theory.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm serious, I'm not very sporty so I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

One important piece is that it sacrifices the integrity of the record books. Comparing one player to a player thirty years ago, or thirty years from now would be meaningless. Baseball is a team sport but it individual stats are also very important. If you're American, remember the hype and publicity that was surrounding McGwuire and Bonds when they were was chasing the HR records? Now pretend everyone openingly did steroids. The public would shrug and say "so what" to stats since they are pretty obsolete.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:27 PM

If they want to sacrifice their health for money why should we stop them.

perhaps we shouldn't or have little incentive to, but the sport itself has a vested interest in self-preservation and the health of its participants, as well as marketing/public perception/potential legal consequences (think anti-trust exemption most notably).
Old 12-03-2004, 05:27 PM

The point is that you cork a bat to make it lighter. There are a million legal ways to make a bat lighter. For some reason corking is illegal, even though it doesn't help any more than the legal methods. A guy who corks has no advantage, powerwise or contactwise, over a guy who simply chokes up or hollows out the top of the bat.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing my point. Would a baseball player just naturally go say, "I'm going to lift heavy things becaue it's fun."? No. Not unless he is doing it for the specific purpose of building strength. Anything done for the specific purpose of building strength is artificial. The guy lifting hay bales is doing so because he needs to put the hay somewhere, not to gain strength. If he is then it's unnatural. I'm not saying weight lifting should be banned, and steroids not. These are two extremes. I'm trying to figure out where in the middle the line is drawn.

[/ QUOTE ]
The line is drawn when you're doing things to your body that weren't possible 1000 years ago.