Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 03:42 AM

Default Re: 10-25 NL at Foxwoods

[ QUOTE ]
my guess is either AK clubs, although that is still pretty unlikey for the same reason i just mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's pretty unlikely since the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is on the board. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
edit: just saw the results...tee hee.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. It's about time I was right about something.

Justin A
Old 11-20-2004, 05:04 AM

i read this hand and tried to go to sleep but several things bothered me. mainly the poor play of the kid. you say this guy placed 13th? Great for him, glad he has the bankroll to be a high limit no limit donator now.

Mistake 1) big pot out of position. but you all know this.
2)vs. pro- he doesn't pay the bills by sucking at poker. why tangle with solid player from EP for big pot?

Reverse this hand. Assume you're the pro. What cards does the kid hold, how easy/hard is it to call ridiculous overbet on river?

I can only offer questions and idiotic comments because I am under no false assumptions that I am good at poker. Quite bad, rather. but very interesting hand.

re: turnip "I have kind of a rote way of thinking that this is always bad gambling (risking a lot to win a little). yet, I always hear about spirit rock doing stuff like this, so there must be some merit to it. "

fck spirit rock and all his money. that is a stupid ass play. massive overbets don't pay off especially on river bluffs. okay I kid I would love to play like that, but it's stupid, no?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:07 PM

This is a classic mistake in NL I see many people make, going all-in on the river with a bluff makes no sense. I'd understand if the kid rivered a boat and put the pro on a flush draw. I would most likely shove it all in too, but not here. Not on a bluff.

All the kid has to do is bet half the pot, see what the pro does and basically muck if he's raised even just a dollar.
$6000 k down the drain like that. Tsk tsk...

Lawrence
Old 11-20-2004, 12:45 PM

you are right it is a stupid way to play.

the pro played it well. the river call required no thinking at all. he committed to that call on the turn.
he had made the decision that his flush would be good if it hit, and got kid to put him on a made hand.

matt
Old 11-20-2004, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read this hand and tried to go to sleep but several things bothered me. mainly the poor play of the kid. you say this guy placed 13th? Great for him, glad he has the bankroll to be a high limit no limit donator now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, my thoughts exactly. When I saw him on TV I had serious doubts that he was a winning player, based solely on what I knew from him in our younger years. He probably goes on some huge rushes playing the way he does, but I really doubt he knows when to shift gears and slow down.

[ QUOTE ]
Mistake 1) big pot out of position. but you all know this.
2)vs. pro- he doesn't pay the bills by sucking at poker. why tangle with solid player from EP for big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not a good spot to be in. He didn't know when to take his foot off the gas.

[ QUOTE ]
re: turnip "I have kind of a rote way of thinking that this is always bad gambling (risking a lot to win a little). yet, I always hear about spirit rock doing stuff like this, so there must be some merit to it. "

fck spirit rock and all his money. that is a stupid ass play. massive overbets don't pay off especially on river bluffs. okay I kid I would love to play like that, but it's stupid, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

One more car analogy. Spirit Rock shifts gears so much that sometimes the overbet is a bluff and sometimes it's the nuts, and he seems to know the right time to make either play. It takes a lot of skill and experience, and knowing your players. I don't think John Murphy has the skill or experience to know when the time is right.

Justin A
Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Hey there,

This is the kid here and i just wanted to correct a few things. First off the game was only 5-10 NL and i only had about 2,800 in front of me. Second, I was in middle position in a 6 handed game and the pro was in the big blind. On the river the pro checked to me and i went all in for a little bit more than 2k in a pot that was around 1,600. The pro called instantly with utmost confidence and flipped over his Q8c and I tossed my 9,10c in the muck. I said nice hand and hopped on the next flight back to LA because the foxwoods put me into a frenzy. No I-pod No cell phone No booze past 12 make John go crazy.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Hi John,

Clearly, we recall many important details of this hand very differently. I was in one of the blinds in this hand, and folded to a raise, so as I remember it, you acted before the pro post-flop.

I was the guy directly on your right. You are correct that it was 5-10 NL; This was the only time in the 2 weeks that they'd spread anything between 5-5 and 10-25, and since it was playing very deep, I misremembered it. As far as your stack size goes, I remember you having 2 tall stacks of black on top of a bunch of green, but again, I'll take your word for it. As for when you mucked your hand, again we remember things differently, and since you were in the hand, I'll defer to you.

I never intended for this to become a John Murphy bashing session; hopefully you noticed that I didn't participate in that facet of the discussion--not that it got too harsh, in any case.

If the hand happened exactly as you remember it, I still question the size of your bet on the end; one reason to make it is your apparent fast and loose play up to that point.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 PM

john this is very distressing. no ipod and no booze after 12? here i've played online multigame via my laptop while sitting in a nlhe game, with a beer, on the cell phone, happily folding in turn. the cell phone is a bit much though.

matt
Old 11-21-2004, 04:05 PM

i wouldn't say that murphy is overly wild and wreckless

it's just fast aggressive play with a second best hand.

as far as rushes accounting for his winnings- look back at the wsop, tosses jj when raymer plays big with AK, but has the balls to push raymer off with little rag hearts.

skill is skill- the hand is fun to analyze but i wouldn't go so far as to call him names or something....