Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: One way to improve your game...

Nope. Wasn't on table 8. That may be the 3rd bernie in there.

[ QUOTE ]
but I'll try to wait until you get up to get some coffee or something to say hello so you don't feel obligated to take a break on my account.

[/ QUOTE ]

If im getting my usual asshanders award, i may need the break. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
(I don't know what you hit, but I'm assuming it was a decent-sized bad beat if people know you for it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the biggest badbeat JP in wash. state history unlikely to be beaten any time soon. Not sure if it was the biggest on the west coast. Pretty much every cardroom in the NW heard about it.

There's another guy named bernie in the room that everyone thought he hit it. Everyone was coming up to him congratulating him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

b
Old 11-18-2004, 07:44 AM

Nice JP win. Was it the straight-flush-over-straight-flush super bad beat? (I can't even remember if it was the Muck that was offering that.)

Well, hope to see you in Auburn sometime. Maybe Sunday night when I show up to see if my one-in-a-million shot to win a car pans out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Was it the straight-flush-over-straight-flush super bad beat? (I can't even remember if it was the Muck that was offering that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and it was the last one they'll be offering. They took the super out.

b
Old 11-18-2004, 05:51 PM

This is not really the same thing, but it is related.

I have found in going from one level to the next (most recently 1/2 to 2/4) that I don't feel comfortable at the new level; nothing shocking there. So what happens is I play the lower level half the time and the higher level half the time, always sort of running home to the comfort level for no good reason. (This happens even when I do well at the higher level.) What finally pushes me over the edge is playing a few hundred hands at the NEXT higher level (3/6 in this case); then the aggressiveness (and pot sizes) at the new level seem normal and I switch for good.

I am currently at this stage in moving up to 3/6. I have played a couple thousand hands of 3/6 and am doing fine, for whatever that is worth (nothing), yet I still regularly play 2/4. My bankroll now stands at over 500 BB (at 3/6), so that is not holding me back. It is purely psychological. Maybe what I need is a couple sessions of 5/10.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 PM

I find this to be true if you play enough hands. The prior level's money seems trivial afterwards, and you tend to play more relaxed, and able to do what you need to do. I also notice if you go back too many levels (I.E. Try and Build a Bankroll at a new site playing 1/2 when your used to 3/6 or 5/10) then it backfire's and is just too boring to stand! heh.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 PM

In regards to playing Omaha if you are a Hold'em player... the Omaha H/L at Ameristar in MO last night was 3-6 instead of 6-12, and I stood around watching the game before I got a seat at a Hold'em table. And...

I NEED to learn Omaha. This table looked so juicy. No player was under 50 years old. One guy was literaly retarded. When I think about it, he may just have had a really bad speach impedement and looked a little mentally challenged... but if I was judging a book by it's cover this guy would be "One fish two fish, red fish blue fish." I hate to be judgemental, but most of the people at the table just LOOKED unintelligent.

I don't know too much about Omaha, but the play at the table looked pretty passive... especially so on the flop. Who knows, just cause they were old doesn't make them bad (I even heard two guys talking pretty intelligently about the game in the rest room), but I need to get me a good Omaha H/L book.

On another note, I said I would post about my trip last night, and that post will be up in the small stakes forum in a bit.

- Jason