Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 09:24 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Folding a set in a big pot for one bet.

Raise the flop. Ok, ya didn't.

Raise the turn. Ok ya didn't.
Tripdad beat me to it. It was a relief to see someone finally really mention it.

You like making chips? Raise the goddamn thing! What the hell ya waiting for? You have 2 glaring spots for value raises. One on a big bet street. Although, the turn is close to even money, the flop is printing money.

Hole in game found: Concept of value betting. Even if behind. A study of this will raise your win rate. You're missing bets. It shouldn't take ya long to grasp it. We've all been through the weak-tight-itis before. The more you see the value of these bets, the easier it is to make them. You'll really love it how your lesser opponents react when you hit it and berate you for betting your draws. It's great entertainment. It's also great when you fold the river after you miss. Your opponents really love that and the looks from them are fantastic. *Note: You're folding the river when you miss and it's obvious you're beaten. Any doubt, the pot will be huge and call it.

If you're worried about putting that much in, meaning it's a monetary thing, move down in limits.

It's most likely your beat on the river. I'd feel much better about the fold if you'd put in a raise somewhere. I'd give some credit to you being there and having a feel on the players, however, given the weaktight tone of the post and reasonings behind your plays on this hand, i'd have called it.

b
Old 11-14-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's most likely your beat on the river. I'd feel much better about the fold if you'd put in a raise somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also why i call this down. if ode raises flop or turn, then gets bet into on the river, the fold is OK. otherwise, call. nobody has shown strength on the hand other than the bettor. you must be 95% sure you are beaten in order to fold here.

cheers!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: By the way, that fold sucks. I'm not saying this to be mean, but it's really really awful that you would fold a set on the river for 1 bet because there's a possible straight on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan I gotta disagree here. I think this fold is pretty easy. With a river bet and that many callers, hero isn't winning when he's making the 3rd overcall on a board like this, no matter the size of the pot. I don't think there's a possible straight out there, I think there's a likely straight out there this time - I'd be surprised if hero won often enough in this size of pot to make the call +EV.