Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: A Posting Handbook For Peace

[ QUOTE ]
King, I don't think this is going to work without content moderation. I've said that many times. But people have asked for this (or something resembling this), so I thought it might help if we can see if it has any salutory effect. At the very least, if you don't like a post, you can snidely link to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean "content"(as typed) or "constant"?

Either way, I totally agree.

Don't get me wrong, I am 1000% for the entire set of guidelines and think they should be stickied, but IMO, it may still be a failure even if 80% of the people totally committed to follow them to a "T".

It only takes a handful of people to ignore the sticky post to plunge us back into what we have now. Add to that the fact that several posters can be a touch....um....."abrasive"....and I think you end up back where we started from. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I do applaud your efforts becuase I am one apathetic fool and would have never taken the time to put this together. I end up just sorting through the noise.

Thanks.

King
Old 11-15-2004, 03:11 PM

What if these guidelines appear the FIRST TIME you use the hand converter? Then it saves a cookie so that you don't have to see it again.

That way everyone trying to use the converter won't have an excuse that they didn't know.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Default proofreading, converter, feeding the trolls

Three suggestions:

1) Encourage posters to proofread before they post.

2) Encourage them to use the converter; it really does help. I have pretty much stopped reading hand posts that don't use the converter.

3) Discourage all from posting to trolling threads. If the trolls don't get responses, maybe they will go away.

Thanks for your effort on this--it looks good.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:32 PM

Hey Bison

Good stuff.

One thought: [ QUOTE ]
If you're not sure you did the right thing on a given flop, stop the hand text at your last flop action. If you're not sure about a fold, STOP at the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take it a step further, and stop before the fold...making the prompt something like "My action?" I do this on my rare hand posts.

I think it's relatively easy for responders to agree or disagree with a decision I make. In other words, if I fold, they concentrate solely on that decision, not other decisions I could have made. If I leave it up in the air, it forces people to consider all the option. Just a thought.

I also agree with sthief09; there's too much inside joke stuff that bumps silly threads. I also have a request to what appears to be the NYPC crowd (as well as various other posters who know the true identities of other 2+2ers):

If you're posting a hand with other 2+2ers in it, please consider using their 2+2 names, not their real names. I think I've finally figured out that Sthief09 is Josh and bdkclash is Brad and sfer is Dave/Wendell, but new posters won't and it just confuses things.

-McGee
Old 11-15-2004, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please consider using their 2+2 names, not their real names. I think I've finally figured out that Sthief09 is Josh and bdkclash is Brad and sfer is Dave/Wendell, but new posters won't and it just confuses things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean...I've been starting a little list to help keep things straight...unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out Evan's name......
Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: proofreading, converter, feeding the trolls

[ QUOTE ]
2) Encourage them to use the converter; it really does help. I have pretty much stopped reading hand posts that don't use the converter

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for one, would prefer that people not be encouraged to use the converter, as long as they are encouraged to:

a)post all the relevant information in a hand (reads, positions, cards, action, pot size, etc)
b) NOT post raw hand histories

The reason is that I am in what must be the very small minority who would rather read a narrative hand history, rather than a converted one. The converter is great when compared to a raw hand history, but I find that "UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls" is harder to read than "MP1 and MP2 limp, I raise in CO-1 with red kings. Folded back around to the limpers who both call."

I do agree that the converter has some good aspects, precise pot size, for one, and getting the action absolutely correct, for two. I also see its benefits; as I said, it's a million times better than a raw hand history.

Just wanted to give voice to those who may disagree but don't say anything out of respect for Bison. Not that I don't have respect and appreciation for him or the work he put into the thing; I'm just sure he can take it.

-McGee
Old 11-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: proofreading, converter, feeding the trolls

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) Encourage them to use the converter; it really does help. I have pretty much stopped reading hand posts that don't use the converter

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for one, would prefer that people not be encouraged to use the converter, as long as they are encouraged to:

a)post all the relevant information in a hand (reads, positions, cards, action, pot size, etc)
b) NOT post raw hand histories

The reason is that I am in what must be the very small minority who would rather read a narrative hand history, rather than a converted one. The converter is great when compared to a raw hand history, but I find that "UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls" is harder to read than "MP1 and MP2 limp, I raise in CO-1 with red kings. Folded back around to the limpers who both call."

I do agree that the converter has some good aspects, precise pot size, for one, and getting the action absolutely correct, for two. I also see its benefits; as I said, it's a million times better than a raw hand history.

Just wanted to give voice to those who may disagree but don't say anything out of respect for Bison. Not that I don't have respect and appreciation for him or the work he put into the thing; I'm just sure he can take it.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

reference a post by a 7 post stranger in small level nl/pl:

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to use the hand converter , but it said it was taking a week off or something? Wierd, anyway dont be TOO hard on me as im still pretty new.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't help laughing as he then proceeded to just cut and paste the history into his post, and that was it. I've already linked one new user to this thread, and I'm hoping others do as well...
Old 11-16-2004, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C) Lurk more until such wisdom is revealed to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only more people just took this simple advice...

Well written!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:15 PM

Great post, bison. Nitpicks:

* Halle Berry and Tyra Banks -- I think this is perfectly clear if you think for a second (which you should be accustomed to if you're on a strategy forum)
* Make a list of things not to do.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

* Halle Berry and Tyra Banks -- I think this is perfectly clear if you think for a second (which you should be accustomed to if you're on a strategy forum)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get it. I think a lot of people don't just think of them and think "black", it didn't even occur to me. Whatever though, I don't mind reading threads with lame titles.