Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

However, I believe Enon should have given back a bit to the man. Yes, what goes around comes around.

If my actions weren't wrong, why do you think I should give any back?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything wrong with gambling it up with him at a full table, where he is fair game for anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't share this feeling that taking his money in a live game vs. heads up match is of great magnitudes worse (if you believe it wrong in the first place). I find it strange that you have no problem with taking his money in this full game but consider it 'raping' to get him one-on-one.

I also feel it is completely irrelevant to the morality of taking the donator's money whether it is equally dispered among other players.

[ QUOTE ]
where he can at least try to have his escapism

[/ QUOTE ]

He enjoyed the same escapism with me heads up when his mouse didn't leave the raise button, as when he pushed in preflop almost every hand at the full table.

[ QUOTE ]
and possibly not lose too much too quickly

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here that taking his money so quickly and leaving him with no more to gamble with that night is a relevant factor.

This got me thinking, how would you feel if I played him 3/6 or 5/10 heads up that allowed him to lose the money at the same pace as he would have lost it at the $100 NL table? Still rape?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think there is a HUGE difference between not getting up from a full table (ie. keep playing) and OFFERING to play the guy H/U to take advantage of his "possible" mental situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Tell me why.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:16 AM

That doesnīt change the fact that vulgar application of power is silly and childish at itīs best, immoral or criminal at itīs worst.

Hmmm. Liberal?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That doesnīt change the fact that vulgar application of power is silly and childish at itīs best, immoral or criminal at itīs worst.

Hmmm. Liberal?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the best that your little 20 year old American college "who gives a [censored] what the rest of the world thinks" student mind can come up with ??

If having a conscience and a SPECK of compassion makes someone a Liberal in your world than I'm guessing that he probably is a Liberal.

busguy
Old 11-08-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you think there is a HUGE difference between not getting up from a full table (ie. keep playing) and OFFERING to play the guy H/U to take advantage of his "possible" mental situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Tell me why.

[/ QUOTE ]

You took an active role in skinning him. Sitting at a full game is passive.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Tell me why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enon,

I appreciate that you were having second thoughts about how this all went down. This shows me that you probably have some sense of right and wrong (unlike a few posters in this thread). But if you cannot see ANY difference between continuing to play at a full table that just happened to have both you and the sorry sack at it, versus deciding to (whether his story is true or not) personally try to take maximize advantage of this guy by offering to play him heads-up, then I think I would just be wasting my words on you.

I'm not sure if you grew up in a "dog eat dog", I better "get mine before someone else takes it from me" household, but I didn't. Caring about your fellow man is what this world should (and in some societies it is) be about at least to a certain degree. Having a conscience doesn't make you a bad poker player (or if it does all this winning I've done must just be luck), it just gives you a shot at being a decent human being. I'm not saying that you shouldn't thank the good lord for giving you an opportunity to profit from this guy . . . but I believe there is a difference between taking a reasonable profit (staying at the full table) and taking advantage of this guy by extracting the maximum (taking him to a HU table) that you can.

my 2 liberal cents

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-08-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: More thoughts and another question

Lawrence.

From one Canadian to another, you SHOULD be able to see the difference between your story and his.

Had you decided to play heads-up for $1000 a hand I would definitely question the quality of your friendship. But you didn't. You chose NOT to capitalize (to the fullest) on the opportunity presented to you. Sure you made some money off of Dr. Ng's perscribed therapy, but you didn't choose to fleese him like I think Enon did with this guy. And NO, friendship does not have anything to do with it. Greed and selfishness do.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] busguy
Old 11-08-2004, 03:45 PM

I didn't say there is no room anywhere for compassion there's just no room for it at the poker table (or in business more generally). I have a problem with all this nonsense rhetoric that certain people should get special treatment because of X or Y. If the original poster had simply wrote, "I ran into a terrible player the other day, got him play me heads-up, and took 1700 off him." I doubt you people would be as put off by it. If you sit down at a poker table, you open yourself up to having your money taken by people that play better than you do. It doesn't matter if you're drunk, if your baby just died, if you're 16 years old, or if you're just plain stupid.

And BTW, it's not like this guy would have kept his $1700 if not for the heads-up match.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but he claimed that gambling on poker was theraputic for him and that the money he was dumping at the table was an amount he could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
but he claimed that gambling on poker was theraputic for him and that the money he was dumping at the table was an amount he could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]