Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Basic 15/30 Party Hand, but something feels wrong about it

I think we're just talking semantics, but isnt equity your current percentage ownership of the pot?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we're just talking semantics, but isnt equity your current percentage ownership of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

With position you make better use of your equity.

Your equity changes on each street sometimes for the better and sometimes worse, with position you are able to get more bets in when you have the best of it and get out cheaper when you don't.

But yes, actual pot equity preflop is regardless of position it's just about the hands out there.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:06 AM

Nate, I enjoy your math oriented posts. I have an off topic n00b question, why the does ZJ 3 bet the flop? Wouldn't it be better to just call and let the other guy call to for pot odds?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:35 AM

ZJ doesn't really mind the other player folding becuase ZJ DOESN'T HAVE A PAIR. So the other guy is very likely folding a 6 outer to beat ZJ which doesn't matter if ZJ has to make a pair anyway but he could still be winning at the moment so then it matters alot. Also if the guy calls the 2 cold well then thats the SHAMA LAMA...DING DONG! right there. Z you're crazy for even thinking about folding the river after he checks the turn, CHECK YOUR PULSE MAN.

SHAMA LAMA...DING DONG!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:21 AM

Though the reraise may be valid, your reasoning is not.

-PG
Old 10-27-2004, 08:55 AM

Hi ZeeJustin,

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I feel uneasy about this because I wasn't ready to call a riverbet. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel uneasy in such situation, why did you threebet the flop then? In this way you create such situations yourself. Even without this quote, why did you threebet the hand? You give the guy all the opportunities to maximize his profits when he holds a strong hand (you have highcard A on the flop!). In multiway pots it appears to me that there is not much bluffing on the flop (semibluffs ok, but you were semi-bluffing yourself so the chances he was semi-bluffing decrease); when someone raises he will have something (draw, pair, or higher) Just call the flop, check the turn if you don't hit and easily check call (with the board you described) the river if you don't hit.

Regards,

Robbie
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM

Jay, I'm going to go get a burrito. When I come back I expect to see an exhaustive list of Button hands from you with their respective probabilities of being played this way up through the turn check.

LMAO

I don't know what's funnier, that you wrote this or that 5 minutes later he replied in full.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:40 AM

ZeeJustin made a good decision by just calling preflop. While AKo and AQs are usually 3-bet hands, there are some exceptions.

In this hand, it was multiway, and the PF raise came from ZeeJustin's right(button). And ZJ also has the worst position.

When it's multiway, AQs usually needs improvement to win. When he just calls, he can gain an advantage on the next round if he flops a pair. Players often check to the pre-flop raiser, and ZeeJustin would be in position to checkraise, and this will be an effective way of protecting his hand.