Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Mr. Raymer can I have my money back?

despite the fact that I hate agreeing with Cris, she's right, junior officers probaly have the worst jobs in the Army. speaking from experience my platoon leaders never did anything we didnt want them to do and the rest of the time they just stood around trying not to [censored] something up. but of course the best reason to become commissioned is the pay. an O2 with 3 years experience makes more than an E7 with 15 years [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 06:14 PM

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any more lame..
Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM

The whole, "Why dont you enlist then?"-Argument is exactly why I believe Micheal Moore should be kicked out of the country. I love to argue about politics, and am voting for Bush. Often when I get into an argument with someone, about the war in Iraq, they insist that I should go sign up, and unless I do, then my argument is null and void. Well, guess what, if you want to argue against the war on terrorism, or the state of our nation. Get the [censored] out of my country or else your argument is Null and Void.

Note, I dont really believe this, but I believe that this is a very good way to show liberals that much of what they hear from the upper echelon of their liberal heirarchy is logical fallacy.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:27 PM

Hi thatpfunk,

[ QUOTE ]
I.S. I am very liberal, hate the situation we are in today, and thank god for our troops.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto, Ditto, and DITTO! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris
Old 10-05-2004, 06:28 PM

Let me circle back to your original post and ask you a serious question.

Are you seriously asking Greg Reymer for this money? Do you really believe that he would take your post seriously enough and give it due consideration?

If the answer to the above questions is "Yes" then it would help the rest of us frame the rest of your posts (regarding politics, Iraq war, what-else-have-you) in a proper context.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As to the defecit spending comment...no it's not holding anything back. You will not find a credible economist who will say that defecit spending holds back the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm biting my tongue here.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not that, specifically, but you can blame him for some of the worst deficit spending this country has ever seen...and this from a man whose party constantly spouts off about the "big spending" Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at the risk of pissing off those that say we're doing this in the wron forum....deficit spending?...oh yeah, Kerry will take care of that...ha! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
This deficit spending is holding back economic growth, and is doing nothing for the 45 million Americans who have no health insurance is what is supposedly one of the wealthiest countries on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the government is suppose to insure these people?....what was that you said about deficits and wrecking the economy?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM

I didnt know you thought my posts were lame, how lucky for you though now, you can simply avoid clicking on anything that has my name next to it. Congrats! Valuable seconds of your life saved!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:53 PM

Hi ST,

The argument comes down to this. There is a difference between: "this is a war worth fighting, and I'm willing to serve," and "this is a war worth fighting, if someone else is doing the fighting." The former is courageous (albeit, in my opinion, ill-informed). The latter is cowardice, and a brand of cowardice at which our current "leadership" seems to specialize.

For example, ultra-hawk Cheney on his six draft deferments during the Vietnam War: "I had other priorities." It's easy to be a hawk when you're not going to be in the front lines. It's a bit different when it's your butt being shot at, and that's why most military and former military people tend to look at war as something to be avoided.

Cris
Old 10-05-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
junior officers probaly have the worst jobs in the Army. speaking from experience my platoon leaders never did anything we didnt want them to do and the rest of the time they just stood around trying not to [censored] something up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends to some extent on the particular branch of the military you are involved with.

In the infantry, you might be right. Any NCO might be able to do any junior officer's job three times as well (what do I know?). I was a naval officer though, and as a bridge watchkeeper in the Canadian forces, we have no enlisted personnel who do any commensurable job. Navigation, collision regs, and OOW maneuvers is just not something enlisted personnel learn as a part of their trades training so they will give the junior officers a lot more respect from the start.

And while it can still be argued that the life of a junior officer sucks, it sure was nice to be commissioned at times.

Just one example of something I always valued was information. Even as a junior officer, command breifings and Orders groups are something you can (or need to) attend, and even if you have no real power, it's nice to know what is going on.

The decision whether or not to enlist or take a commission should have nothing to do with these things however. It should really just be a matter of what kind of job you'd like to do. If you prefer skilled, hands on expertise, there is really nothing wrong with going the enlisted route. If you prefer the leadership and admin side, then the commission is more appropriate.

Regards
Brad S