Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Give Arieh a Break

I can't believe how bent out of shape people get over a few comments. The guy was playing for $5 million! Cut him some slack if he mumbles a few words under his breath that you don't like!

I totally agree with the poster who said that we try to create good guys and bad guys(as does ESPN) because it makes it more interesting. In the end, however, we don't know much at all about who these guys really are, so we shouldn't judge them imo. Go have a conversation, hang out at a bar, of have dinner with them, then you can speak of their character...but you can't really access them from a few select poker hands.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strictly in terms of his attitude; his comments remind me an awful lot of the same idiots I see coaching at Party 2/4 and 10+1 NL tournaments.

He'll always be a better poker player than me (and many others)...but he's still an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I feel.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Can you imagine...

...how Josh Arieh feels reading this thread?

I mean, honestly, is he so arrogant that he just says "Screw those 2+2 geeks. They don't understand my greatness," or does he actually begin to question what sort of a person he is?

Note that I said is, as opposed to came across as.

Because we had a more than adequate sample from which to assess.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:44 AM

I'm not going to give the guy a break because he was playing for $5m. I didn't see Greg or Williams acting like that, did you? I didn't see most people acting like that, that's why he sticks out in everyones mind as a bad guy. Most people can control themselves and not act like an ass, the ones who can't don't get the excuse of "I was playing for such big money, anyone would have" because that's not true.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:12 PM

Default What is this, golf? Tennis?

I've got news for you golfers and tennis players, this ain't golf or tennis! If you don't like people making comments about other people's bad play, don't play poker! Don't watch poker on TV! Go back to playing tennis and golf. Arieh was right, and since so much was at stake, he couldn't believe the guy made such a big mistake and Arieh got angry. I would too and I might've thrown some chips in the other guy's face. "Take some chips, son, you're gonna need 'em the way you play poker!"
Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: What is this, golf? Tennis?

[ QUOTE ]
I've got news for you golfers and tennis players, this ain't golf or tennis! If you don't like people making comments about other people's bad play, don't play poker! Don't watch poker on TV! Go back to playing tennis and golf. Arieh was right, and since so much was at stake, he couldn't believe the guy made such a big mistake and Arieh got angry. I would too and I might've thrown some chips in the other guy's face. "Take some chips, son, you're gonna need 'em the way you play poker!"

[/ QUOTE ]

All this post proves is that you are an ass too. Congratulations.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Some of us players are glad that Poker is gaining respect as a "sport" and not just gambling. It's idiots like Arieh, Matusow, and Mattias Anderson that give Poker a bad reputation. I think Poker players could learn an awful lot from how most professional golfers conduct themselves.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If Josh can't accept that people sometimes make bad plays in poker and get lucky, he should go play golf or tennis," would be a more appropriate comment.

Does he really think he is such a good player that he would inevitably win the tournament if no one else ever made a mistake? Most of us want other players to make mistakes, in fact, we depend on it.

Any of us would be thrilled to make the final table at the WSOP. Any of us would be thrilled to "lose" a tournament and make a million bucks. The sooner he learns to enjoy the moment, instead of acting like he's berating the fish at the local 10/20 game, the happier he will be in life.

Anyone who thinks this behavior was acceptable because of the amount of money involved simply needs to look at how many other players handled themselves in the same situation. It's not that hard to show some class.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Can you imagine...

I'm pretty sure it was similar threads last week on RGP that prompted his spin doctoring of a lameass apology. Maybe he should have held off on that apology for a week? Since he showed himself to consistently be a dick.

This guy is a complete tool! 100% douchbag.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are being too nice, Arieh thinks WAY too much of himself. They should call him Hellmuth Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha ha You know that Phil Hellmuth IS actually Phil Hellmuth Jr.

Josh Arieh - the Phil Hellmuth of poker!