Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Laying down the nuts...?

You still call. Consider it a $65000 gift from your opponent.

Justin A
Old 09-03-2004, 06:22 AM

Well...
I was fairly surprised at the amount of "call of course" responses when knowing the opponnent is a very solid player.

While thinking about the hand I really felt that he couldn't make the play with much less than the same holding as me... It just doesn't make logical sense for a player to go overbet so much with a set when he can only get called by the nuts, but anywho...

I called and he flipped over the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]...

I would like to say that I survived, but the turn brought the fatal club [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I thought it was an excellent read/play on his part and wanted to know if anyone thought they could get away from this hand...

Thanks to those that supplied the statistical analysis as well, it was helpful.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:10 AM

wow, tough situtation. i would have put him on a big set and called for sure. if he has you on KQ and makes that play i certainly don't want any face time with him anytime soon.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You still call. Consider it a $65000 gift from your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anybody else considering the only hand he makes a 100k overbet with is KQ of clubs?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:55 PM

NO. When you flop the nuts (and better), do you immediately overbet the pot by x10000 to scare your opponent out? No. There is but one choice, call.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:11 PM

I would be wondering if this game is on the up-and-up if he can make that kind of read here. FWIW, he would've stacked me off here without a doubt, but a solid player should have wanted more value from his hand. If this is a home game, unless he was sitting next to you and you think you might have inadvertantly flashed your cards, I'd seriously consider finding another place to play.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:23 PM

My argument hinges on the fact that the excellent player somehow reads you for the nuts. Let me give another hand as an example of when folding the nuts would be absolutely correct.

You have red Q-2.

On the turn the board shows: A K J T w/ two clubs. There is 100 in pot. You lead out for 100. Your opponent goes all in for 10k more.

You should fold. The ONLY hand the excellent player would play in this manner is Q-x clubs.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: why is this guy getting so much credit

i dont know why people are saying that you should relocate instead of playing against this guy. he sounds like a solid player but probably isnt the miraculous hand reader that some have suggested.

is this situation that hard to fathom?

villian thinks, "hrm I FLOPPED THE NUTS!ok this guy seems like a decent player. well lets see hes betting into me so i can assume hes hit the flop. probably AK, AQ for one pair w/ straight draw or possibly JT, AJ, AT for two pair. two pair would be hard to lay down. ill just push and see if he pays me off. worst could happen is that hes got KQ also and we chop. but then ill still have my flush outs. lets roll."

oh, and if i were hero i would call of course.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:49 PM

I dont care what he had, or what you think he had, or what the only logical hand he could be making the play with is. You call. You dont know he has kcqc. You have the nuts. You dont even think about it. This is a ridiculous discussion. He could easily be pushing with a set of aces because hes scared of what the turn card could be. Easiest call you should ever have to make.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:54 PM

I agree with you ocho, and thats why I made the post...
I really felt that the play would be downright stupid if he had a set- I can only call with the nuts and it is only a $400 pot... So he makes a reasonably small win or big loss...