Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Party 15/30 AK hand

What scenarios are you referring to with respect to raising with A-Qo in a multiway pot. I don't understand how this would ever be a raising hand from the sb in the scenario that we are talking about.

The best game for raising with these big offsuit cards multiway from the blinds would be in extremely weak passive games. Where you are playing against players who are extremely predictable and easy to read.

A differnt scenario:
I have had people reraise me from the blinds with A-K when I have raised UTG and I have drilled them are you one of these people too? I laugh as they call me down with "nut no pair".

On a lighter note:

AK is Anna Kournikova-- looks Really nice but seldom wins.
And AK unsuited is like Anna with no clothes on--- a lot easier to BEAT. ---pun intended
Old 08-19-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Joining the Dark side

I take a break for a couple months and come back to this debate again? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Easy raise in almost every scenario. See the thread between Astroglide and John Feeney for reasons not to raise AK before the flop(you didn't provide any of the rational ones) - but in almost every circumstance it should be a raise. Unless you are a very advanced player, I suggest always getting the money in with the goods - because erring on the side of not raising enough would be awful.
-James
Old 08-19-2004, 03:46 PM

That what he have been telling him and he keeps asking for butter with his bagel.....
Old 08-19-2004, 03:47 PM

Ok - Party 15/30. 6 fishy loose limpers and I hold AQo. I am raising in a flash.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:48 PM

And what's the matter with butter on a bagel.....? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 04:00 PM

Why are you giving everyone else pocket pairs and suited cards? You think this represents a typical Party 15/30 game? Think again.

On top of that, your sim assumes that the hand will go to showdown. It won't necessarily. The beautiful thing about raising preflop is that you can get people to make laydowns postflop.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:09 PM

You have an easy flop raise because everyone else will be facing 2 bets cold, and this is precisely what you need to do to get them to fold their Q, J, etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM

Hi mmcd,

Your poker logic is pretty good, you've obviously thought about the game. AK out of position is just a tough hand to play. Probably raising is worth more than calling though against all but the toughest opponents, since you so frequently have the best hand and are dominating the others.

Against really tough opponents, or opponents that play really well postflop, just calling for deception might be worth it. I experimented with always calling preflop with hands like this in low limit games and had a lot of success, I don't think it's as -EV as many would lead you to believe.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 08-19-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK is so easily a raise its not even worth debating. As I said in the other thread AQo could be debated in certain scenarios, though not many. AJo.... NOW you would have a good case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think AQo plays that much differently against AKo against a bunch of limpers?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Speaking in generalities....

Tosh,

I think that I can see your point in the context of the PP15-30 game. I also realize that the context of the thread was PP15-30. oops my bad.

I guess my input was mainly from experiance with 15-30 and 20-40 B&M games that I have played in. In most of these games there are usually 1 or 2 very weak players, a few really solid players and most player that are loose with starting hands but play extremely good postflop.

Given this new scenario would all previous proponents of a preflop raise still raise?

Also does anyone know the title to the thread between astroglide and John Feeney?

Sorry if I am a waste of space right now. I am new to internet poker and just trying to perfect my game and figure out how to beat the games on the net to the best of my ability.

Thanks