Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: A homeless nut.....

I thought Powers was extremely annoying, both in his ADD personality and his play. However, McManus was wrong to call him out on it- better just to keep quiet, play good cards, and bust his jabbering ass.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McManus is a complete tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

But pretty good poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. God, no. Reading his book and watching him play shows his total lack of game understanding very clearly in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM

I haven't watched him play enough to judge, but by watching last night and reading his book, it sure seems like he is in love with the call. Not usually a recipe for success.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McManus is a complete tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

But pretty good poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. God, no. Reading his book and watching him play shows his total lack of game understanding very clearly in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

His play in the book was questionable at times but "total lack of game understanding" 5th place in the WSOP and a couple of bad beats from a possibly higher finish? Also since then he has posted pretty good results in tournaments as he learned. As for last night how much "play" did we see, we saw the drama hands. Yeah he called the crackhead down with a Q high (not a J high likethe guy kept rambling on about) but Powers only had a King high so his read really wasn't off. Also if you read Andy Glazer full report he wasn't the only one who was calling down Powers with subpar hands, his probably just got shown because Powers made such a big deal out of it. I agree with Glazers assesment, He really needs to work on his short handed play but his game is much better now then in 2000. We just saw little snapshots of what happened. according to the report Powers just didn't leave the table once but several times. He didn't bet in the dark just once but several times. He didn't cap the betting with a junk hand once but several times. Remember we only get to see what ESPN thinks is interesting in a about 45 minutes.

As for Powers not needing the money, yeah money must be pretty important to him, In the Bike tournament when he got headsup with Jim Miller Powers hand a 10-1 chip lead and agreed to an even split on the deal.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, but by watching last night and reading his book, it sure seems like he is in love with the call. Not usually a recipe for success.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose your talking about him calling down TJ's bluff in the 2000 world series?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah he called the crackhead down with a Q high (not a J high likethe guy kept rambling on about) but Powers only had a King high so his read really wasn't off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although his "read wasn't off," his play was WAAY off, because I don't know a single decent player who doesn't consider that a raise or fold situation. It was an utterly terrible call. Awful. Abysmal. Sub-optimal. -EV. Whatever.

You simply cannot call there. If you're trying to pick of a bluff, which he obviously was, you have clearly got to consider the possibility that the guy is bluffing with the best hand, which the guy was.

Raise or fold there, no doubt about it. Not a mistake a really seasoned and expert player would make.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah he called the crackhead down with a Q high (not a J high likethe guy kept rambling on about) but Powers only had a King high so his read really wasn't off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although his "read wasn't off," his play was WAAY off, because I don't know a single decent player who doesn't consider that a raise or fold situation. It was an utterly terrible call. Awful. Abysmal. Sub-optimal. -EV. Whatever.

You simply cannot call there. If you're trying to pick of a bluff, which he obviously was, you have clearly got to consider the possibility that the guy is bluffing with the best hand, which the guy was.

Raise or fold there, no doubt about it. Not a mistake a really seasoned and expert player would make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrowed from the Andy Glazer report.

Because Powers’ game was so unusual and unpredictable, he was throwing off everyone else; standards were changing, and players were making calls and raises with hands they would never normally have considered even playing, much less attacking with. Say what you will about how many floors his mind’s personal elevator stops at, Ellix Powers approach threw some of the world’s finest off balance, and he played fearlessly.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borrowed from the Andy Glazer report.

Because Powers’ game was so unusual and unpredictable, he was throwing off everyone else; standards were changing, and players were making calls and raises with hands they would never normally have considered even playing, much less attacking with. Say what you will about how many floors his mind’s personal elevator stops at, Ellix Powers approach threw some of the world’s finest off balance, and he played fearlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

One might be able to be "thrown off," but one doesn't totally forget how to play.

What's the thinking with McManus? Is he saying to himself," I will call, so that I can might pick off most of the bluffs that he might be making?"

Obviously not. He doesn't have the game to know that he's raising or folding here.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 PM

I don't know about that...two final tables at the WSOP, including the main event...can't be THAT bad a player...
Old 08-11-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ellix Powers approach threw some of the world’s finest off balance, and he played fearlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it when most people say someone plays "fearlessly," what I'm really hearing is, "he played like an idiot?"