Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Does anyone here stake?

This is my first post, but i've been reading here for quite a while. i'm in the process of looking for a stake to solidify my bankroll. a friend of mine said that people here will stake on occasion so i figured there's no harm in asking. i'm in a bit of a unique situation. i had just built up my bankroll to a little under 5,200 but had some big expenses come up rather quickly that forced me to take 3000 out. my situation doesn't make sense without some back story. it may get long so hopefully you can bear with me.

i'm 22 and in my last year of college at the university of washington. i've been playing for about 4 years now, but only seriously for about 15 months, with only 8 of those months as a winning player. i had spent last fall going to school in my hometown of anchorage, ak rather than in seattle to help my parents out a little bit with the business and to help my sister in her first year of college. i was slated to go back to uw in january to start winter quarter, but my parents wanted me to stay and finish in anchorage. this wasn't what was agreed upon earlier and it led to pretty big disagreement between me and my parents. they tried to force me to stay by playing the money card. so if i wanted to go back to my school and finish then i would not only have to pay my own way, but also pay off the 20K in student debt i had already accumulated. so i went ahead and paid off the debt using my savings as well as the 11k i had won playing in the party 10/20 game. this left me completely broke, but gave me freedom to do what i felt i needed to do.

i was able to borrow a few thousand from some friends of mine to get a lease started in seattle and keep me on my feet until i could find work. i found work pretty quickly, doing clerical work for a friend of a friend who is a lawyer. they call it clerical, but i'm really just the office go-fer. but it pays decent enough to pay the bills. but just paying the bills wasn't getting it done. i needed to be able to put money away to furnish my apartment and pay for later tuition. i added 25 hours on the weekend at the local golf course after a few weeks.

65 hours a week wasn't all that much fun, but it wasn't killing me. what i really wanted to do was play poker, but i couldn't put any money into starting a bankroll because every dollar i made was earmarked for something like a couch or table for my extremely bare apartment. even currently there's little more than my futon. not to mention that i had to pay back the 3 thousand that i had borrowed to get started with.

so after a few paychecks i was out of the hole with my friends and i wanted to play poker. i looked for a stake in a lot of different places including asking my favorite pro. you can imagine my surprise when he said yes. he started me out with 1500. with all the hours i was working i didn't have a lot of time to play, along with the fact that i didn't have a computer much less internet access at home. but in the limited hours i had i got myself to the campus computer labs and played as many hours as i could. a few successful weeks later i quit the golf course job while keeping the 9-5er. the extra hours allowed me to make enough money to pay the staker back as well as build up my bankroll to the previously mentioned 5200. playing 3/6 then 5/10 then 10/20 and taking occasional stabs at 15/30.

unfortunately i got notice from school that my lab access would be ending because i wasn't registered for fall quarter. so i had to buck up and get a computer for home, along with internet. since the cable company here packages the internet and cable tv and i had planned to get cable tv in future anyway i decided to just do it now rather than later. so i had to take a good chunk of change out of my bankroll to pay for a nice comp, a tv, the startup costs of the cable tv/internet, and of course the added bill.

so now my bankroll sits at 2300. under 300BB at the 5/10 level. i wanted to find out if there's anyone out there who can help me out and give my bankroll the stablity to play where i'm the most comfortable (10/20). i've gotten and given a 100 percent return to my last stake and feel i can do the same for anyone else. i don't want to ask the same person again because i want to keep that person as a mentor and don't want to alienate him when he was nice enough to go out on a limb for me.

i don't really want to keep playing the low limit game. it's forumulaic and a grind, but more because of the time i'll have to put in again. i have good results but the variance can be so irritating. staying at the 3/6 or 5/10 level would mean that i would have to spend quite a while building my bankroll again before i had any serious income potential. and i don't really want to go through it again since i had just gone through it recently.

if anyone feels compelled to help me or want to know more about me then let me know. you can post or private message me. i'm a solid 10/20 player. i've had some decent results when i try 15/30, but the sample size is admittedly small. i've put in my time being a fish, learning the game and building myself a roll. i've read more than a few of the standard books. other than working 9-5 i'm pretty much going to be playing all the time since i've devoted the rest of this calendar year (and probably more) to saving money to finish school. i may try to become a pro when i'm done with school, but i don't want to make that decision now. part time seems to work well.

if this isn't something that's done here then just disregard with my apology. but i had heard that it was. so i figured i would ask. this forums has really helped me look at a lot of hands from different angles and i think that's an important part of the game. so maybe it can help me in a different way. anyone?