Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: With all of the grief that Phil Hellmuth gets.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps we'll look back at his whining and poor sportsmanship and see it as great poker psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us already do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The psychology ends when you get busted. It's one thing to talk trash during a tournament, but his whining from the rail shows a definite lack of class. That's not psychological warfare, that's being childish and a sore loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so at all. It makes people hate him, which definitely affects how they'll play against him the next tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That MAY, MAY be true. But, I really doubt that's what his MO is when he gets drawn out on by Gavin Griffin while trying to win a record 10th bracelet and then bellyaches about it for ten minutes.

In fact, if you saw the footage, he was whining to his sister about it and Gavin couldn't even hear those comments, so you're theory is disproven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again let me reiterate(sp?) that I'm obviously not sure of his intentions...but he obviously did realize that he was on camera and that tons of people who will play against him in the future were watching him.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, big leak phil has. getting his money in with the best of it consistently.

The big leak he has is folding with the best of it consistently.

Hellmuth isn't Ungar. Apples and Oranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he folds with the best of it only to get his money in later on an even bigger favorite then that is a gooooooooooooooood move imo.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:28 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
LOL, he's clearly not THE BEST right now. I can give you a list of 10 players that are better right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on stew, what does that even mean? the best RIGHT NOW. if his short term luck is lacking in recent tourneys that's one thing, but if someone is the best, they're the best regardless of what cards fall.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so at all. It makes people hate him, which definitely affects how they'll play against him the next tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have seen of Phil this behavior has nothing to do with getting into peoples heads ro wanting them to hate him, he simply cannot control himself and he is the biggest sore loser I've ever seen which doesn't mean that it won't effect certain people but the better pros simply brush it off, I could see amateurs getting intimidated but certainly not pros.
I had watched last night on tivo the Foxwoods WSOP where Hoyt Crokins kept getting runners to beat Phil and my wife could not leave the room, she was so entertained by phils whining. He does make watching tourneys fun.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but he obviously did realize that he was on camera and that tons of people who will play against him in the future were watching him.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you seriously think he didn't do the same type of whining in private conversations with his sister/parents/wife/friends before they put mics on him??

do you seriously think he doesn't continue whining about the exact same crap to his wife for another 2 hours after he gets home and the cameras are off??

there's is NOTHING calculated about it...he is just an extremely poor sport.

the same argument is often used in other sports when a player/coach/manager goes nuts at an opponent or official. you can try to argue that they are trying to affect the psychology of their opponent or official for their betterment.
but, most of the time, they are just freaking out and it's as simple as that.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hoyt Crokins kept getting runners to beat Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

What I found funny was the fact that in the two big pots where Hoyt sucked out Phil on the river was that Phil checked the turn both times. How can you complain about someone rivering you when you let them see the river for free? Hoyt was lucky alright! Lucky Phil wussed on the turn and gave free cards to him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but he obviously did realize that he was on camera and that tons of people who will play against him in the future were watching him.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you seriously think he didn't do the same type of whining in private conversations with his sister/parents/wife/friends before they put mics on him??

do you seriously think he doesn't continue whining about the exact same crap to his wife for another 2 hours after he gets home and the cameras are off??

there's is NOTHING calculated about it...he is just an extremely poor sport.

the same argument is often used in other sports when a player/coach/manager goes nuts at an opponent or official. you can try to argue that they are trying to affect the psychology of their opponent or official for their betterment.
but, most of the time, they are just freaking out and it's as simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo this is a silly debate since we can't get into Phil's head. However, I do know a few things: 1.Phil gets angry a lot and is unsportsmanlike often times, 2.This causes a lot of people to have strong negative feelings towards Phil, 3.Phil often times outplays these very opponents and is one of the greatest NLHE tourney players ever, 4.Addittionally, its worth noting that his opponents often make horrible mistakes against him, which just might be as a result of their dislike of him.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hot pipe???? Sounds like Rick James wasn't on cocaine, he was on crack. That's a whole different league of drugs. Probably just called it cocaine because of cracks social stigma.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, back in the day, we used to freebase cocaine and it was not crack. There is quite a difference on how both are made. For example, heroin is not morphine. They may both come from opium but there is quite a difference. Same with cocaine.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:02 PM

The stuff that Phil says off the table--his "if it was all skill I would win every tournament"--comment after the loss at this year's WSOP Pot Limit event are telling, IMO. These show his true character and have nothing to do with any psychology, as they are uttered away from the game. He is just a poor loser, period.

KJS
Old 08-10-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The stuff that Phil says off the table--his "if it was all skill I would win every tournament"--comment after the loss at this year's WSOP Pot Limit event are telling, IMO. These show his true character and have nothing to do with any psychology, as they are uttered away from the game. He is just a poor loser, period.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

and Stu Ungar wasn't? Perhaps when Phil is done playing, we'll forget about his negative aspects and just focus on his greatness as a player as we have done with Stu.