Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Road Courtesy

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a radar detector, but have learned several tactics through the years to keep from getting caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

such as? help your fellow OOTers out.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anybody else find it strange that someone from the UK is trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't encourage in our legas system? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you like when people talk about things as if they were an expert, when they really are completely wrong in so many ways...
Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 AM

Interesting, this is something I have always done (I use a radar detector). But I also flash when someone is going too slow and I want them to speed up so I can pass. Is that not a common practice as well? Is there a specific # of times we are supposed to flash?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This event has done much to boost my hope that there are other observant, considerate drivers out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

In WA? Not likely.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Warning other drivers is a crime

[/ QUOTE ]

I vaguely remember reading that there was a court case involving this. IIRC, it was ruled that it is covered by freedom of speech and is, therefore, legal and constitutional. Anyone know the details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This was a court case in one of the circuit courts, (Alabama IIRC). They ruled it was considered freedom of speech. Although this wasn't a SCOTUS case, so it doesn't necessarily apply to all other judisictions I would be exctremely surprised to see other courts uphold a fine for warning motorists given the precident.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, this is something I have always done (I use a radar detector). But I also flash when someone is going too slow and I want them to speed up so I can pass. Is that not a common practice as well? Is there a specific # of times we are supposed to flash?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK there is no specific code for this. If you come zooming up behind someone and flash the meaning is pretty clear. Likewise if you are oncoming. I get flashed pretty regularly in a few areas. (Western MA)

Where I live, I flash anybody that looks like a local if there's a speed trap. Tourists I leave to the cops.

NT
Old 07-10-2005, 02:32 AM

i flash at people too, i'm currently stationed in alabama =(
Old 07-10-2005, 02:44 AM

And I thought this thread was going to be about getting road-head [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I saw someone do that to me once and I couldn't figure out why, until I saw a cop a little ways ahead. I now also flash my brights to warn people. I've seen others do it a couple times here in LV.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Warning other drivers is a crime

[/ QUOTE ]

I vaguely remember reading that there was a court case involving this. IIRC, it was ruled that it is covered by freedom of speech and is, therefore, legal and constitutional. Anyone know the details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This was a court case in one of the circuit courts, (Alabama IIRC). They ruled it was considered freedom of speech. Although this wasn't a SCOTUS case, so it doesn't necessarily apply to all other judisictions I would be exctremely surprised to see other courts uphold a fine for warning motorists given the precident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check This Out

Also

High Beam Violation
Old 07-10-2005, 03:19 AM

Very rarely. If you can't avoid speed traps on your own you deserve your ticket. Also around here people flash their lights to signal passing vehicles that they're clear to move back to the right. I don't understand this and I've never seen it until I started driving around here (mid south) but it pisses me off. People flash all the time and I slow down cause I think there's a cop, but there never is.

Speaking of road courtesy, what does everyone do if there is congestion on a highway and an empty merge lane? If you're travelling in the merge lane do you move to the end of the lane and then merge or stop and make an effort to get in as soon as you can? I'm asking because where I'm from, you're liable to get shot if you're blocking a perfectly good open lane, but around here I hear people crying about people who "wait till the last second" and in fact this appears to be illegal in TN.