Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Overheard a cheating braggart, snitch or no?

I really don't think you should listen to what anybody says, and I think you should just do whatever you want.

You're going to hear a lot of self-justifying arguments, some from ex-cheats or similar character types, about being more sharing and caring to cheats, who when there's a curve are basically screwing you over and don't give a rats ass about you. F*ck 'em. F*ck 'em to the skies, man.

Having some sort of community feeling group hug mentality toward these guys is absurd. They're not on your side. You gain nothing from appeasing some sort of sense of playground justice by not snitching.

That type of morality is made for sheep, for suckers.

If people are going to try to get ahead unfairly, you can't be criticized for trying to get ahead fairly by doing a little something to keep the playing field honest, not tilted. It's the guys who are cheating who have something to answer for, not the guys who are getting cheated. And if the game is that serious that some people feel they have to bust out their cheat weapon, you're justified in busting out some weapons of your own.

This type of reverse morality is the greatest gift a wolf can give a sheep. It helps him feel good about being eaten.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:36 PM

If you're interested I can point you in the direction of some useful information. My alma mater is pretty hard core with our honor code, and I have read plenty of philosophy and case-studies on this subject. For personal reasons, I will reserve my comments on your particular issue for a more personal setting.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM

Unless you're leaving significant portions of what the dude said out, it doesn't even sound that convincing that he cheated.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM

If you think you have enough evidence to bring to the prof, then I think you should definitely say something....if for no other reason, maybe the prof will keep an eye on this kid.

I think most people have to deal with this in college. I had a girl ask me where she could buy a paper. I had one of my classmates fail out because he forgot to erase the real author's name in a computer program assignment. I had one girl lean over and blatantly look at my friend's test answers, to which he shouted out "why are you looking at my test?!" That was fun. Cheating is prevalent in college, what can I say. I doubt there will be a real resolution unless your cheater friend gets busted in the act. GL

ScottieK
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Lol, this happened to me just yesterday. After finishing up my sociology exam (I worked my ass off all semester just to get a B, I've had to do more notetaking and reviewing for that class than any other by far) I had to take a leak. When I'm taking care of my bidness, 2 kids from my class walked in the bathroom and one was thanking the other for putting his scantron sheet in an easily viewable position for him. I never really talked to the kids all semester, and I'm definitely not a snitch, but I did get a little ticked off just b/c of all the studying and crap I had to do for this class, and this kid bypassed all of that hard work. I mean, we've all cheated b4, but with the shoe on the other foot, I understand now why professors make more than one form for exams.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Never snitch. That's all.

Swede
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't really give a good answer since I was the one talking about cheating on the SAT. But for me if you snitch then your a bitch is kind of a general rule for me. I know confronting him is hard to do but is really the way a man would handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the bitch. People like me and OP bust our asses getting good grades only to see some lazy cheater get a better mark without doing any work. Wanting what we entitled to is not bitchy, its justice. People who cheat [censored] the hard workers over, expecially when competing for grad school. If you are ratted out for cheating, blame your stupid lazy self.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never got caught cheating and didn't really cheat in college. I needed to get 150 more points on my SAT to get into Dartmouth to play baseball. I took two seperate courses and did my best but still needed 50 more. They take the best composite score so I did what I had to do. Most people that cheat don't make A's anyway they cheat and gets Cs and maybe Bs so if you are such a hard worker and get As then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its awesome that basically your entire life after highschool is based on cheating. That will be a sweet story to tell your kids.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Only got through half of the replies... First, I think I took the Legal Environment of Business. It was a really intersting class. DOes the Prof look a bit like Santa?

Second, if the class is on a curve. I snitich. If not, I wouldnt. And yes, both of these have happended to me and I have followed my own advice. The fact that you don't have a direct admission doesnt matter. Let the Prof deal with what you have how they see fit. Tell him you overheard this guy implying he cheated on the exam. If the prof wants to investigate he will, you did your part.

As for the exam coming up. Again I consider curve/no curve. Curve, I tip off the Prof this guy cheated on another exam, you may wish to keep an eye on him.

As for retaking an exam, I cannot imagine this happening during scheduled finals week ever at U of I. aka non issue.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never snitch. That's all.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

There is NO way that this is a correct, absolute, statement.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Could somebody link me to the cheating on the SAT thread?

thanks
blake