Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Investment Banking

Dude, believe me, I've handled, maybe not that much work, but pretty heavy amount of work in high school. This has been a typical day for me until the recent month of my senior year:

-Wake up at 5 AM to work out
-School starts at 7:30
-at 2:30, I had soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and track in the spring(I was Varsity for all three sports all four years, was all-state for track and soccer) sorry if I sound like I'm bragging
-at 6:00 I go to work till 9, then I come back and do hw till anywhere between 10-12
-on weekends I work 5 hours each day when I don't have sports meets

Over the summers I've worked at internships at Brown, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, volunteered in various organizations, and worked as well.

Look, I know what u mean about ibanking being physically and mentally taxing. But I think I just might have the stamina to handle that kind of work. Plus, I just love challenges, lol. My friends often make fun of me for being such a machine, saying I'm not human. But I love keeping myself busy and tackling obstacles. This is the reason ibanking interested me. Granted, 80+ hrs a week does sound very intimidating to me.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 PM

What makes you think you would like ibanking?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:19 PM

If I didn't make it clear in my other post, I enjoy things that are challenging and "intellectually stimulating" like poker(which I have just picked up), chess, and backgammon. High school was such a bore for me; nothing provided any challenge and most of the teachers, the materials I learned, were full of bullsh*t. I seriously think that I could of learned everything in HS by myself in a year. I felt like HS was such a waste of time. Anyway, I know I sound arrogant and cocky, but that's how I honestly feel. Now I can't wait till college, and ibanking seems like a worthy challenge for me when I get out.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 PM

didn't read that closely, you are only in high school?

dude, ease up on the chess and poker and drink some beer... college is about friendships and finding girls ready to breakout of their square high school image...

and don't worry about investment banking just yet.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Seriously. I only went to maybe half of my classes (at a top 20 school, so its not like I was blowing off basket weaving at State U), joined a fraternity, played intramurals, went out 3 times a week most weeks... and still feel I worked too hard in school. I know you didn't start a "College Advice" thread, but don't worry about your career until its a necessity. Just worry about who's going to buy you cheap beer until you're old enough to buy it on your own.

Keep a decent ( > 3.3) GPA and don't worry about anything else until your junior year at the earliest. Just have a blast. Oh, and I'd definitely take finance classes. My school had a heavy focus on econ theory, and I had a complete lack of practical finance and accounting. Not fun to learn on your own.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I didn't make it clear in my other post, I enjoy things that are challenging and "intellectually stimulating" like poker(which I have just picked up), chess, and backgammon. High school was such a bore for me; nothing provided any challenge and most of the teachers, the materials I learned, were full of bullsh*t. I seriously think that I could of learned everything in HS by myself in a year. I felt like HS was such a waste of time. Anyway, I know I sound arrogant and cocky, but that's how I honestly feel. Now I can't wait till college, and ibanking seems like a worthy challenge for me when I get out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't sound cocky. Plenty of the people on this board found high school easy and unchallenging. Most smart kids do.
I understand you like a challenge, but I really suggest you try to figure out what interests you, and find something to do in that field which is challenging. Don't just pick some field that is supposedly "challenging" in general. You can challenge yourself no matter what direction your life goes. I personally think investment banking sounds boring as hell. The only thing challenging about it is working all the hours.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 AM

It actually is pretty interesting. Get to see the behind the scenes view of how large deals and IPOs get done. Plus you deal with some very important and well connected people that can help you out in the future if you do a good job.

However, I do agree that the "goal" of college should not be just to get a good GPA and get a job, because you are missing out on most of what college is really for. Also, I, like everyone else on this forum, play online poker, however I do not make it my JOB, as some do at my school (Just take a look at the New York Times article for a great example). Join a frat, meet people, get drunk, have fun; dont spend all your time in your room studing or playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-15-2005, 05:15 AM

So what you're hinting at is... this would be a good job to take for a few years, then hopefully parlay into an acceptance into a top B-school?

BTW I'll definitely check out this book. I'm reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad now but I'll put this one next on my list.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I'll definitely check out this book. I'm reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad now but I'll put this one next on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad and The Millionaire Next Door are handbooks to making yourself miserable They should be called "How to Live a Miserly Life But Die With Money In the Bank"
Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM

I mean HOW did I know this was the response that I would get? HOW?!? I love children.

Look kid, alll of the crap that you outlined working so hard on differs in one REALLY big way from I-banking (and big time law firms and big consulting firms). A lot of that stuff is FUN. What it is not is a 90 hour week working some godawful pitchbook for some scumbag MD who will tear you a new one if there is one single typo in the balance sheet data (I am not going to define the lingo for you--you seem to like challenges so figure them out). Then when you are done, you work on another deal for 90 hours and it NEVER ENDS! I am sorry if it seems like I am overreacting but I see your kind on message boards every single day. FWIW, you sound like the typical successful i-banker type--althletic, smart, probably a good looking guy, probably personable, etc. etc. This is great for you. But hear me now and believe me later, you will understand the soul-suck that the profession is only when you live it. Write it down son.