Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: affordable SF area dining

[ QUOTE ]

next time i am in town i will take any 2+2 twoers that want to hang out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
when you coming to town?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 AM

sometime after the new year i should get into the bay area. i look forward as usual to seeing any players. especially you and of course sucker and diablo as i can get free meals and drinks from them for just telling a bunch of old poker stories. boris always pops up around my games and takes away some of my earn.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sometime after the new year i should get into the bay area. i look forward as usual to seeing any players. especially you and of course sucker and diablo as i can get free meals and drinks from them for just telling a bunch of old poker stories. boris always pops up around my games and takes away some of my earn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zee, I am working on some things right now. I think I can bring a long a couple of these poker youngsters and get them to pay for your expensive meals and wine, then I'll take you out for something cheap like an awesome burrito or some fantastic corned beef and cabbage. Maybe an Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada to go with it.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 AM

its not mexican mexican, I don't know how to describe it. Its not burritos, etc. You can get the standard mexican meals for 10-15 there anyway. This place is really good. Check it out.

I don't know how to describe this place so here is the first review I found via google

[ QUOTE ]

Don Pico’s Original Mexican Bistro

461 El Camino Real, San Bruno

(650) 589-1163

The deliciously spicy aroma that assaults your senses when you enter Don Pico’s Original Mexican Bistro is enough to make you forget all about the traffic on El Camino. The atmosphere is casual and lively. The friendly staff is most likely part of the family that keeps this venerable San Bruno restaurant hopping.

What began 29 years ago as a traditional Mexican restaurant has come of age under the influence of chef/owner/son of founder Isaac Mejia. He incorporates flavors and techniques from his worldly travels and has fully embraced the theme of utilizing fresh, local ingredients. In addition, everything is made from scratch. The house-made stock reductions form the basis of the sauces. Guacamole is made fresh twice daily—once for lunch and once for dinner. Chicken is gently cooked and hand-pulled. Refried beans are made fresh daily using three types of beans instead of just the basic pinto. The veteran kitchen staff at Don Pico’s (they’ve all been there more than 20 years) aren’t daunted by this labor-intensive style of cooking, and wouldn’t have it any other way. “It’s a labor of love,” says Isaac.

Love is what you will feel when you take your first bite of enchiladas rancheras or a rare sirloin steak with pommes frites-style fries, beans, and pico de gallo. You might also choose one of the five or six fresh seafood dishes offered daily. Whatever you order, you will appreciate the freshness, flavor, and individuality of each dish. It is the attention to detail in all aspects of food preparation that makes the dining experience at Don Pico’s unique, satisfying, and memorable.

Reviewed by Susan Odell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 AM

I like Sliders for burgers on Sutter near Van Ness.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:57 AM

It's on the corner of 22nd and Valencia. And you're right.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM

Anchor steam tastes like burnt molasses. Drink a man's beer. Zee and I tried to convince you of this before, but I guess guys like you never learn. Sierra is OK.

You're buying the next bottle of wine.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 PM

I'll check it out. Sooner rather than later. I'm not so sure about the "hand-pulled chicken" - people aren't supposed to do that in the kitchen, because it's bad for sanitation.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Sliders for burgers on Sutter near Van Ness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Polk, actually. One on Castro too, although I think only the Sutter/Polk one is Korean owned. Keepin' it real.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the answer for breakfast is bugaloos's on valencia and around 21th. best breakfast around california. fun place to eat at as well and not some stuffy place with cloth napkins and a bunch of diablos sitting around.

next time i am in town i will take any 2+2 twoers that want to hang out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really love the Pork Store for breakfast. I get the feeling most people are loyal to their neighborhood breakfast place...