Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Another killing-animals/morality thread

I'm sure you do understand it, but are now just annoyed at this wasteland of a thread.

For future reference, making ridiculous claims on the forum to start off a thread will really make it hard to have a serious discussion. Plus, getting mad when no one believes you won't do any good.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes, I understand it, but I don't "get it" -- meaning I don't agree with it. For future reference, I am not emotionally invested in what you or the rest of OOT thinks about me, my cat, or whatever.

Also, for future reference, this is not a troll thread. I don't find trolling entertaining in the least. I am being completely straight here.

As far as I can tell, I am giving straightforward replies to everyone and trying to break apart the issue to learn what is so crazy about it. I will keep responding seriously until the thread dies -- so if you hate it so much, stop adding to it.

Edit: Well obviously I knew sorta what would happen, but it's not trolling because I am taking it seriously, even though I could foresee the likely outcome.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) I guess I'm just insane then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the same people who claim you are insane to love your cat would have no problem with someone saying he loves his dog.

[ QUOTE ]

2) It is the intentionality that does it for me. The active will to kill for no reason but pleasure/desire, to me, is worthy of severe punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you. Someone that would kill someone else's pet for pleasure is sick and evil. Someone who would kill someone else's pet and not care that it will cause emotional harm on the owner is sick and evil. Society doesn't punish people enough who do stuff like this. If someone kills your pet, the most you can generally sue someone for is the monetary value of the animal. Only in extreme circumstances will criminal charges ever get laid. It would be very frustrating for someone who genuinely loved his/her pet to see someone who killed that pet "for kicks" get off scott free. I'd want to inflict harm on this person, but actually killing him *is* a tad insane and would lower me to the level of the pet-killer.

There are other ways to get back at him...if he/she killed your pet in a particularly gruesome fashion, you could go to the press, for instance...the press loves stories like that. Havint the killer villified by the community would probably be revenge enough.

[ QUOTE ]

3) I am not concerned with practical consequences, only with justice. This is called adherence to principles; you may claim that my principles are flawed but then you should address 1) or 2).

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe that killing a cat intentionally should carry a death sentence. If intentionally killing a cat should carry a death sentence, what about crimes like rape, assault, etc...?
Most people would argue that a death sentence for killing a pet is a wee bit too harsh. However, in most places, the killer would get off scott free or with a slap on the wrist, and I think that's wrong too.

Mind you, it's not the killing of the pet itself that I believe is the reason the person should be punished. The punishment should come due to the emotional harm the act caused the owner of the cat. Many people have only their pet as their companion, and losing their pet is equivalent (for these people) to someone else losing a child.

For those who scoff at the idea of an adult loving a pet, how would you feel about someone who kills an 8 year old child's dog in front of the child? Does this person deserve to go unpunished?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:17 PM

this thread sucks
Old 05-21-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

How nice for you.

Your post sucks considerably more than this thread.
If you are going to be critical, at least include some substance.

Even lame topics are better than empty insults.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, fair enough. I like the mature (because you're older and more mature, right?) deliberate goading that you actively went back and added.

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't intended to be goading. It's what I really wish would happen to animal rights whackos, particularly ones that troll oot with their nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]
So here's a new question: what would you consider to be a just and moral punishment for deliberately murdering my cat? I'm not asking what the law says, I'm asking what you think is right (though they could be the same).

[/ QUOTE ]
They should have to replace the cat of equal or greater monetary value. Also, this is a similar crime to stealing, or possibly vandalism, so I guess whatever punishment fits those crimes.