Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Stealing Food From Employers

If you can't pay a living wage to staff, then you should go broke. Pay people enough and you should be able to trust them. I just saw your reply to Jake, 3 months ago you thought differently, what changed your mind? I used to be a practice accountant I also know how restaurants/bars run.

Mack
Old 09-22-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well done, I don't steal but neither do I condone slavery.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Voluntarily working for 6$/hr because you are too stupid/lazy/apathetic to get another job is not slavery. You think that someone should get 20$/hr to mess an order at subway, thats ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like your job, get another one. If you can't, it's because you're not qualified for one. If you're not qualified for one, then you don't deserve one. And if you're a thief, you deserve to a job making license plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, by the same logic if you don't pay fair wages you deserve idiots and thieves from the bottom of the food chain, and you deserve to have your business go broke. Cuts both ways.

Mack
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't pay a living wage to staff, then you should go broke. Pay people enough and you should be able to trust them. I just saw your reply to Jake, 3 months ago you thought differently, what changed your mind? I used to be a practice accountant I also know how restaurants/bars run.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason that people get paid 6$ an hour. If you paid them 10$ an hour, they arent going to stop stealing. I now work in the bar/restaurant business, I matte touch screens/databases/registers with quickbooks/peachtree etc and set them up to streamline their operation, from basically the ground up. Ie, from over-pouring, to the way management deals with their money, I dont know all there is to know, since I just started, but I can already tell that theft is a always a major contributor to putting a place out of business (something that I didnt realize 3 months ago).
Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

An employer has no obligation to pay a living wage to anyone. But you're right, if they can't pay a wage someone is willing to work for, they won't have employees. If they have no employees, they have no business. If they're paying employees too much, yes they go broke. But as long as there is someone willing to work for $6/hour that's what the company should pay.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pay people enough and you should be able to trust them.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hopelessly naive for any restaurant/bar owner.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest thing i ever heard.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well done, I don't steal but neither do I condone slavery.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Voluntarily working for 6$/hr because you are too stupid/lazy/apathetic to get another job is not slavery. You think that someone should get 20$/hr to mess an order at subway, thats ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like your job, get another one. If you can't, it's because you're not qualified for one. If you're not qualified for one, then you don't deserve one. And if you're a thief, you deserve to a job making license plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, by the same logic if you don't pay fair wages you deserve idiots and thieves from the bottom of the food chain, and you deserve to have your business go broke. Cuts both ways.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. You deserve idiots. But you do not deserve theft.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:08 AM

I am a former McDonalds manager...and let me start off with WOAH BABY. There was more theft there than most bank robberies. I am guilty. I never charged any friends, ever. I gave food to the employees all the time. The ones I caught stealing, I just told them to ask next time. All and all I probably took like 2 grand worth of food in 4 years.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hopelessly naive for any restaurant/bar owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or any other occupation. He clearly hasn't paid much attention to recent white-collar crime scandals. Dirtbagfs are dirtbags. More money doesn't change that.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they're paying employees too much, yes they go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the businesses I've seen that have gone broke, failed becasue the owners took out too much money and left themselves under-capitalised. I guess if people will work for $6 then thats what they will get, personally I wouldn't expect them to be the cream of the crop or particularly honest though.

Mack