Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Dead card feature
I’d like to see the dead cards. 6 42.86%
Don’t waste your time on dead cards. 2 14.29%
Put the dead cards on the same line as the street identifiers. 3 21.43%
Follow each street with the dead cards. 2 14.29%
Other placement, other feature, I will elaborate in a post. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Do you enjoy gambling?

this is money that this player will continue to play poker with. if you win it off him he will probably quit. if he wins your money he will probably stop tilting.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At my local 20-40 a few months ago, I had a guy's number, generally outplaying him and winning the majority of his $1500 in chips in a very short time.

I picked off a bluff once again to bust him, and he reached into his pocket, slams $2000 down onto the table, which roughly matched my stack and said he would "high spade" me on the next hand for it (higher spade between us wins).

I politely refused and said I'd rather try to win it playing poker. Very angrily, he said "That's what I thought. I just wanted to see how much gamble you have in you!" To him, this was an insult, but I didn't really mind, since I preferred my chances outplaying him.

So, how many of you would have accepted his bet, considering it was essentially a freeroll with his lost money?

Coincidentally, I was dealt the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the next hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] However, I'm not sure if the floor would have even allowed it, since sidebets aren't allowed.

Pokerhooker

[/ QUOTE ]first, this post makes you sound limke a D-bag, so id work on that..
second, id have takebn this guys bet... very good for your table image... and eff the floor! no sidebets?? where was this?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
first, this post makes you sound limke a D-bag, so id work on that

[/ QUOTE ]

You once told me you were going to "punch me in the face"

So yeah, take your own advice
Old 08-27-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, how many of you would have accepted his bet, considering it was essentially a freeroll with his lost money?

[/ QUOTE ]

freeroll? The chips are mine. I can go spend them as I wish. This is no more a freeroll then spending money from a paycheck or money from my bankroll is a "freeroll".

But I might have flipped a coin with him. It depends. If he is the type to stay until he gets even but then to bail as soon as he is even I definitely am not flipping a coin with him. I have an edge. I want to execute that over as long a period as I can. OTOH if this is someobdy that I will be gambling with a lot over time and/or I expect he won't leave if he wins the cointoss and I have money available I might flip with him. It also depends on how I want the rest of the table to see me.

FWIW I'll offer to flip coins with the nits when they whine about not getting action. That usu. stops that behavior.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:41 AM

"Do you gamble, sir?"

"Only when I eat out."
Old 08-27-2005, 02:48 AM

I just wanted to add the idea that gambling against friends and acquaintances on near-neutral EV situations can be a decent icebreaker and creates an emotional experience between the two of you, usually good vibes. If this is the case, there is a sort of social +EV to this coinflip assuming the money is trivial to both of you and that you have enough self control so that it doesn't become a raging addiction.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:08 AM

I dont like to gamble in general. I couldnt play a game with a negative expectation but thats not the case in poker for a winning player so I like it.
I try to move up asap though, but its not because I need the gamble with my bankroll but because I feel I would be wasting earn otherwise and you improve faster when playing against better competition.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:47 AM

I used to like to bet on football, and I'd play craps and blackjack when I'd go to vegas (once every 1.5 years.) I never bet much and never put money I needed into play. Now that I play poker I don't gamble on anything but poker. I guess I don't see the point in putting money on the line if I don't feel I have an edge.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 PM

I'll bet on Turkish basketball if it's the only action available...in fact I have.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Wrapping it up.

Interesting to see that a forum for gambling is split about down the middle on whether they like gambling for it's own sake. Perhaps we can take this as another demonstration that poker isn't about gambling.

Personally, I agree with the idea that non-gamblers that sill play poker are going to tend to be among the very best players. On the other hand, if they didn't enjoy gambling and they lost, why would they play? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd argue that the ideal poker player is risk-neutral. They have an advantage over the gamblers. They can be impartial and fold those hands that we oh-so-badly want to see the river with, but that aren't quite getting the right odds. They also have an advantage over the non-gamblers, as they can push those small edges and make those scary thin value bets and raises. Really enjoying gambling hurts your game. Just watch TSP play in a 2+2 15/30 game some time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

my 2 cents.
Eric