Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Wedding Registry-- who, what, why

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead? Because right now, that's my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that doesn't stop people. The point of the gifts is that everyone helps the bride and groom get started on their new life together by giving gifts such as silverware, dishes, appliances, and furniture.

This is rather antiquated as couples tend to live together before marriage and already have all that [censored].

However, gift cards (which returnable merchandise pretty much is anyways) and gifts are in far better taste than asking for straight cash. This is almost always the case in gift giving situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why cash is in bad taste, but gift certificates aren't. Cash is like a gift certificate that you can use anywhere. I don't see the difference, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't a practical reason. As a [censored] player I understand this, but basically it's just one of those things that people over about 30 tend to think. I'm not trying to say younger people are more rational, they just don't have a hang-up about cash as a gift for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, my hang up isn't about cash specifically but rather the debate and asking for gifts. If it can be done with some tact (rather than ...You know we are expecting something fantastic but rather than a gift we don't want bring on the cash) then go ahead. BTW I am not trying to imply that you are greedy and tactless or that you would make a request similar to what I wrote. It is just that this topic is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it considered in poor taste to not register and ask for cash instead? Because right now, that's my plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but that doesn't stop people. The point of the gifts is that everyone helps the bride and groom get started on their new life together by giving gifts such as silverware, dishes, appliances, and furniture.

This is rather antiquated as couples tend to live together before marriage and already have all that [censored].

However, gift cards (which returnable merchandise pretty much is anyways) and gifts are in far better taste than asking for straight cash. This is almost always the case in gift giving situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why cash is in bad taste, but gift certificates aren't. Cash is like a gift certificate that you can use anywhere. I don't see the difference, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't a practical reason. As a [censored] player I understand this, but basically it's just one of those things that people over about 30 tend to think. I'm not trying to say younger people are more rational, they just don't have a hang-up about cash as a gift for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, my hang up isn't about cash specifically but rather the debate and asking for gifts. If it can be done with some tact (rather than ...You know we are expecting something fantastic but rather than a gift we don't want bring on the cash) then go ahead. BTW I am not trying to imply that you are greedy and tactless or that you would make a request similar to what I wrote. It is just that this topic is one of my biggest pet peeves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently it is poor tact to even ask for gifts. My wife refused to put this type of information into the wedding invitations, so basically most people ended up either asking us/our family about where we registered, or they ended up figuring it out on their own, which usually led to cash or giftcards but also lots of wine, champagne flutes, casserole dishes and so forth. For example, if all of OOT wants to visit Denver I am fairly certain I can provide individual wine glasses for each and everyone of you.

Swede
Old 10-20-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's probably not too cynical in general. However, I would hope that you don't know too many people who would behave that way. I am pretty curious how such an infrequent event as giving gifts at a wedding could become one of your pet peeves. In my fairly limited experience with weddings, I've never heard of the couple coming across as greedy or "hoping to hit the jackpot." Perhaps you were just experienced something unusual?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on whether it was you or your future wife that selected the pattern [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

She picked that out, I picked these out:

Old 10-20-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's probably not too cynical in general. However, I would hope that you don't know too many people who would behave that way. I am pretty curious how such an infrequent event as giving gifts at a wedding could become one of your pet peeves. In my fairly limited experience with weddings, I've never heard of the couple coming across as greedy or "hoping to hit the jackpot." Perhaps you were just experienced something unusual?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have heard a lot of couples who have lengthy debates about how much they can get out of their friends and family. I am quite happy to give presents to a couple that is marrying but lately get the feeling that there is more of an air of entitlement around the whole event. Factor in the aspect of asking for cash and I get very annoyed. I supposed it is because I feel that a gift isn't something that should be managed in this way. Moreover, letting someone know that you would rather have cash than something they picked out and it all starts to seem somewhat crass and calculated. Again I am not opposed to wedding gifts but I think that those receiving such gifts should look upon them as an expression of the givers caring and generosity.
Maybe I sound like an ass but there it is...
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have heard a lot of couples who have lengthy debates about how much they can get out of their friends and family.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, that would piss me off too.

[ QUOTE ]
I am quite happy to give presents to a couple that is marrying but lately get the feeling that there is more of an air of entitlement around the whole event.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is starting to sound like more of an indictment of American society in general, which I would agree with.

[ QUOTE ]
Factor in the aspect of asking for cash and I get very annoyed. I supposed it is because I feel that a gift isn't something that should be managed in this way. Moreover, letting someone know that you would rather have cash than something they picked out and it all starts to seem somewhat crass and calculated. Again I am not opposed to wedding gifts but I think that those receiving such gifts should look upon them as an expression of the givers caring and generosity.
Maybe I sound like an ass but there it is...

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all, I agree with everything here. Maybe I'm an ass too...
Old 10-20-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm an ass too...

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah...Just make sure you enjoy the wedding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, letting someone know that you would rather have cash than something they picked out and it all starts to seem somewhat crass and calculated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is crass. And Swede, I think your wife has it right, too. Putting the registry information in the invitation is in poor taste.

A wedding should not be looked at as a payoff. But the fact remains, you are throwing a party and many if not all the guests want to get you a gift. Like jaydub said, they think this is helping you get a good start on your life together. You might as well offer people a registry so they know they are getting you something you want.

Chobohoya, put a contact number inside for the person handling RSVPs and the people that want to buy a gift can ask if you are registered. You may tell some other key people. Don't worry, the people that want to get you a gift will find the registry soon enough.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM

So now that we've established that outright asking for gifts or cash is crass, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to actually put on there? stuff that would be awesome if someone gave? I remember that my parents gave someone TIVO for a year, and I thought that was a really cool, innovative idea. I have a fairly large family, as does she, so keep in mind that people might give somethihng as a group, or whatever.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 PM

Wusthof, NICE. I settled for a Mundial - South American made but German steel, still really good...make sure to sharpen regularly (every month or 2?) and use a steel before each use.

Where can I get my hands on the registry? Maria was actually asking about that the other day.

Dan