Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: The biggest lesson I\'ve learned at PLO

[ QUOTE ]
Pot control, if you are American, means *always* betting the pot because you can't get that pesky allin like in good, decent, clean living, US of A, No limit holdem.

To non-Americans, it means crafting the pot size to the situation, normally the maths of the situation, sometimes the dynamic of the hand. An example of the former would be betting similar amounts with strong draws and made hands. An example of the latter would not be betting so much through the streets that when you have to bluff on the river, he can call for amusement reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Dave has made an important point, although one I don't care to elaborate on for reasons I gave in a recent thread I started. If some of you really don't even make an attempt to get it and would rather toss your cookies instead, that's fine by me if you are playing on my tables.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Pot control, if you are American, means *always* betting the pot because you can't get that pesky allin like in good, decent, clean living, US of A, No limit holdem.

To non-Americans, it means crafting the pot size to the situation, normally the maths of the situation, sometimes the dynamic of the hand. An example of the former would be betting similar amounts with strong draws and made hands. An example of the latter would not be betting so much through the streets that when you have to bluff on the river, he can call for amusement reasons.

Big Dave has made an important point, although one I don't care to elaborate on for reasons I gave in a recent thread I started. If some of you really don't even make an attempt to get it and would rather toss your cookies instead, that's fine by me if you are playing on my tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the most quality post you can make is "Big Dave is right, do you see why?" you're really not adding much value to this forum.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM

What I contributed was the comment of a winning plo player at the hightest limits (myself) supporting the post of another player which yourself and possibly others don't seem to get. I don't really care whether you get it or not, but wanted to encourage lower limit players with less experience to think about what Dave said and why it might be true and in what situations.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Could you please give me a link to that thread?

Thx in advance.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM

I can't seem to find it even in my post list. It was entitled "Lack of More Advanced PLO Discussion". I don't know if renaming this forum to remove the pot-limit from the title has messed up the search results or not, but it was within the past month.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:30 PM

I'd say this lesson is more of a lesson of poker in general, taking into account implied odds, reverse-implied odds, et cetera. And actually not much of a lesson, more like one of the first steps from playing at the poker table and winning at the poker table.

And, as I see you have been told already, this forum is for omaha high (and this thread pot-limit omaha [high]) and not any form of hi-lo.

As for my lesson, I'd say pot manipulation and how to play in different positions.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its an old jibe between Beset, Aces and I.

A bit like you and Winter do, but without the gay pictures.
gl
DD

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, carry on then.

And for the record, I have never posted any pictures.

-g
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 PM

I came over from NLHE to play Omaha in its various forms.

The biggest lessons I learned are as follows (keep in mind I play low limits in PLO)
1) Position is King, even more important than in NL,
2) AAxx sucks to play – it was my biggest leak for quite a while – until you figure out how to let it go,
3) playing against AAxx is fun. If the money is even moderately deep and your opponents hand is relatively obvious, and he is tenacious, it can be a big money winner
4) LAG play is easier to do in this game than any other. I use shorthanded PLO50 to play very agro and blow off steam after my real games
5) the variance is bigger in this game than any other (my opinion, not backed by stats)
6) it is correct to raise preflop but not really follow up on it to a greater extent than I thought possible
7) Hands need to be much stronger and redraws are critical

--greg
Old 09-02-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I contributed was the comment of a winning plo player at the hightest limits (myself) supporting the post of another player which yourself and possibly others don't seem to get. I don't really care whether you get it or not, but wanted to encourage lower limit players with less experience to think about what Dave said and why it might be true and in what situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're a winning PLO player at the hightest(sic) limits?

Please tell me how is the 1,000$-2,000$ PLO rotation at the Bellagio?

Also could you tell me what your name was on the Prima 40-80$ game when that was going daily? I wonder if we have any interesting hands from that game we could share?

The 10-25$ PLO game at the WSOP was pretty smooth, made tougher by the fact that I couldn't seem to find the "bet pot" button anywhere, and my entire game centers around betting the full potsize. You must've been at the 25-50$ game at the next table between Williamson and Devilfish. Wow, it sure would've been nice to brag that I was in the biggest game in the room. . . rather, I chose to sit in the softest game in the room. . .

Ahh, you must've been one of those guys at the Golden Nugget last year playing 3 handed 50-100$ PLO with Doyle and Gus Hansen. Which one were you? None of them seemed to last very long.

Post your screennames so we may marvel in your greatness.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason I've adjusted my sleep schedule to be able to play with the brits, french, and swedes.

[/ QUOTE ]