Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Honesty on this site..

It's ok. Your not the only break even/losing player reading these boards that can't believe people actually make money from poker.

It's no excuse for categorizing everyone as liars.

Orange
Old 04-28-2004, 02:40 PM

I see people make money all the time. Its not unbelievable. I just think some people are full of BS. I guess you can't understand that.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:06 PM

I am sometimes skeptical of the win rates I read about on these pages. it's hard for me to believe that low-limit online players make as much or more than I do. as of right now, my overall win rate is about 1.25 bb per hour, and in my best game it is just under 2 bb per hour. and for the life of me, I can't sustain a winning record online. maybe I don't try hard enough, or maybe my game depends on looking my opponent in the eye, I don't know which.

as for KQs in the bb, I would never throw it away for one raise, and I don't know of any high limit pros who would. you're already half in, fer cryin out loud.

but what really pisses me off is people like andy fox who take money out of the cardroom when they really don't need it.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:20 PM

What happened to that dude who said he could make $100k in 100 days?

He is still very much here.

I also think some people even lie about the advice they give sometime. Crap like, "ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

Just because you never fold KQs to any raise does not mean that other players here do when it is warranted. Sometimes you shold fold KQs and sometimes you should 3-bet, other times you call. Deciding the correct action to choose, given a situation, is the difference between losing and winning players.

if I were to play the way some people on here say they do, I would never play a hand.

Most losing and begining players play too many hands. This is their first fundamental mistake.

Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are.

This is true.

Stop concerning yourself about others win rates and concern yourself with your own. Read and respond to the stategy posts in the Micro/Small Stake/Mid-High/No-limit Pot Limit forums. Work diligently on your game, read and dicuss things constantly.

Hopefully then you will not be as frustrated.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 04-28-2004, 03:52 PM

The first step to taking advantage of this forum is listening to the advice of others and then critically evaluating it. Seems like you have taken the first step.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:26 PM

I agree with everything that you say. I also know that you're the best player who posts on this board who isn't named Zee.

I had a lot of problems online for awhile and couldn't really win, either. There were a multitude of reasons, but many of them had to deal with those bets on the turn that you just "know" what to do with in real life that you just don't feel out correctly online. Also, I had a hard time focusing, which is likely doubly true for you, since you play stakes about 2X what I do. I also had a hard time controlling my emotions online, which ironically is my strongest ability in the cardroom. Finally, people just play strangley as hell on the internet. They are truly terrible, but different than any people that I have ever come across. You have to make some strange plays, indeed. All I can say is that I have only been to Bay 101 once in the past month, and I'm having one of my most profitiable months playing poker ever, playing mainly shorthanded 15-30 games (3 players usually). It's unbelievable how much money I have made since I've made some adjustments, but you should stay out of my games, Mr. Man.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM

"but what really pisses me off is people like andy fox who take money out of the cardroom when they really don't need it."

never fear, ive heard he's really loosened up lately. and i recently played in a game with him where he played virtually any 4 cards. there was some high stakes snob who was too busy playing 500-1000 in timbuktu or something to show up and see for himself...

Old 04-28-2004, 06:47 PM

"How many of you are skeptical of the results that some people post on this site?

These are the things that I am skeptical of."

You know what your results are, why care what someone else says they make?

"I also think some people even lie about the advice they give sometime. Crap like, "ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

While there is no shortage of bad advice, I doubt a lot (if any) of it is intentional. Some people don't know better, are eager beavers and try to be helpful, but are wrong anyway. As your poker game progresses you'll know what is what.

"With the distribution of the hands I'm given at Party Poker, if I were to play the way some people on here say they do, I would never play a hand."

Just incidentally, how many hands (as a percentage) do you play? And at what limits?

"I think people lie about their poker skills the way they lie about their golf games. Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are."

Maybe. But what I'm certain about is that most people who truly are interested in learning and are diligently reading the more "poker oriented" forums such as "small-stakes", "micro-limit" can become (if not already are) +EV.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's hard for me to believe that low-limit online players make as much or more than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a whole different game. Really. I know people who can't seem to really win online at Party, and that's the easiest site to win on. And some of these guys are high limit players near your caliber.

It's all about playing a ton of hands, and value betting like mad. There is no poker to be played online... it's a completely different thing. And it's boring. But a realistic hourly rate for a 5-10 player playing 4 games at once will be about a hundred an hour. I'd be skeptical of more than that.

~D
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 AM

Andy and I had lunch yesterday, I kept looking over my shoulder for you, we contemplated having a $250 lunch.

And yes, Andy cleaned up at the tables - again.

Jim