Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Why All The Details?

[ QUOTE ]
... one problem with being religous is that it wastes time. Time that could be used for more productive things.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is Amen to that. Amen.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to get into this debate. It has nothing to do with my question. Just forget about the part about improving the world in my original post. I just want to know why people waste their time on the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's simply boring to wait for death doing nothing and it also makes them feel better, just like a placebo.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is not rhetorical. I am asking because I offer this challenge: If you can argue a case and convince me that there is a reason that one should care about the longevity of the human race* (e.g. my questions posed in another thread - why worry about the ozone, what difference does it make whether mankind becomes extinct like the dinosaurs?) I will give up my Religon. Yep, you heard me right. (N.b. I am not even qualifying my challenge. I am not even asking you to show that this value is better than the value I see in my Religion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT,

You keep missing the point - people are not concerned with the longevity of the human race but rather their own life and the life of their children. I personally think that the world would be a better place without humans. All we do is destroy other creatures and use up all of the earth's resources. However, I want to live as long as possible and I want the world to be clean, safe and beautiful for my children and grandchildren. What is so hard to understand?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is not rhetorical. I am asking because I offer this challenge: If you can argue a case and convince me that there is a reason that one should care about the longevity of the human race* (e.g. my questions posed in another thread - why worry about the ozone, what difference does it make whether mankind becomes extinct like the dinosaurs?) I will give up my Religon. Yep, you heard me right. (N.b. I am not even qualifying my challenge. I am not even asking you to show that this value is better than the value I see in my Religion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT,

You keep missing the point - people are not concerned with the longevity of the human race but rather their own life and the life of their children. I personally think that the world would be a better place without humans. All we do is destroy other creatures and use up all of the earth's resources. However, I want to live as long as possible and I want the world to be clean, safe and beautiful for my children and grandchildren. What is so hard to understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cab,

I am asking about the ozone and things of that nature - why care? It is going to be around until I am dead at least. I guess you answered that you are worried for your children and theirs. Well, I "got" none - any problem with me driving a Hummer? (I don't, btw, nor have any interest in doing so.)

RJT
Old 11-11-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cab,

I am asking about the ozone and things of that nature - why care? It is going to be around until I am dead at least. I guess you answered that you are worried for your children and theirs. Well, I "got" none - any problem with me driving a Hummer? (I don't, btw, nor have any interest in doing so.)

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very common question from people that do not have any children. It is like a person that does not have any pets trying to understand how some people can care so much for their dogs or cats. You have to be in their shoes.

If all you care about is yourself then I guess I can't give you a good reason. It is easy to understand why if you do have children or do love others and care about their future. If you care about anyone else how could you not care about the ozone, etc? You imply that it will outlast you, but how much longer after that. What if science finds a way for you to live another hundred years - will it matter then?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Cab,

My main interest is that if we are merely a product of evolution what difference does it make if the human race becomes extinct - why stress over such things as the Ozone? Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse. I'll pass on the 100 year pill - now the fountain of youth is another story. (Can it be retroactive?)

RJT
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cab,

My main interest is that if we are merely a product of evolution what difference does it make if the human race becomes extinct - why stress over such things as the Ozone? Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse. I'll pass on the 100 year pill - now the fountain of youth is another story. (Can it be retroactive?)

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

You always seem to get back to this point in most of your posts. It does NOT matter in the Universal scheme of things but it DOES matter in my personal scheme of things. Just like there is no meaning to life in a general sense but there is meaning to me of my own life and the life of others that I care about. There is a distinction.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT,

[/ QUOTE ]
Not all people, I want the rest of humanity to prosper as well. I just don't want that as much as I want myself and my familly to prosper.

chez
Old 11-12-2005, 03:55 AM

The reason one ought to study the details is because the details lead to more meditation on God which in turn leads to more sanctifying grace. The more sanctifying grace one has, the more pleasure they will have in heaven.

If one does only what is absolutely necessary to be saved, they will not gain much merit, and hence have less pleasure in heaven.

If the underlying religion is false, then most of that study is a waste of time. But if the religion is true, then many of the things we do on earth are a waste of time (depending on the values of the religion).
Old 11-12-2005, 02:46 PM

"If one does only what is absolutely necessary to be saved, they will not gain much merit, and hence have less pleasure in heaven"

What I like about this guy is that he answers my questions head on instead of posting vague replies. On the other hand I have never read anything like the quoted sentence before. Which, if any, Christian religions offically believe it?