Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: I want the TRUTH

...since i went pro.

Heh? Aren't you the kid with no TV and NO BILLS??? Do you still live with your parents? Are you still in high school? I'm not meaning to be degrading here, just genuinely curious and confused.

GoT
Old 10-01-2004, 03:59 PM

Mikey,

Scheiße passiert.

Cris
Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just wrapped up the month of playing online 3-6 HE and I have had one of the worst months in history, I multi-table between 4 to 7 tables and for the month I have played 107 Hours and have won $287 .

I'm not going to talk about bad beats I REFUSE TO!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding right? Go cry somewhere else when you win. My god you sound like a blackjack player. If I could win 287.00 every month, I'd be happy as all hell [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] 3grand+ extra a year is just so HORRIBLE!! OMG.

Go cry to the people that have actually lost thousands a month and dont go cry that they had the worst month in history, ROFLMAO.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you're just playing a hand for the hell of it. (not making a habit of doing this) Say you're playing JTo by raising in EP. You know you're giving up quite a bit doing this, but you got a wild hair on this one hand. It's not even an image play as you already are getting lots of action. You just want to have fun, maybe blow some steam on this one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a long time to get to this point, but this is how I personally know I have hit my tilt point - playing in a way that is suboptimal, the whole time knowing that I know better.

I finally developed the discipline to make sure that when this hand happens, it's my last hand at the table.

I can't tell you how much this has helped my game and my sanity.

Dov
Old 10-01-2004, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nepenthe, this is just bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. While it is possible that this is due solely to a bad run and Mikey is playing very well, it is much more likely that Mikey isn't playing nearly as well as he thinks he is if he is essentially break-even after 30,000-40,000 hands of 3-6 on Party.

Note that this is the equivalent of 1,000 hours of B&M play with substantially lower rake, no tipping, no food/drink charges, no jackpot drop, etc.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:21 AM

The truth is you can invest a positive sum of money and earn interest on it.
/M
Old 10-03-2004, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want the TRUTH

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, I'm here. now what do you want???
Old 10-03-2004, 03:57 AM

Mikey,

First and foremost, I think you play way too many tables. Four tabling is a stretch for me, and I couldn't imagine playing more than that.

Second, long bad streaks do happen, but a bad streak that long is extremely unlikely. How much higher was your winrate in July or August? Could it be possible that you are not a big winner in the game?

When we've talked about poker, I've always been impressed by how seriously you thought about the game and how hard you tried to analyze problems, but I also thought that you played many pots, particularly on later streets, like there was no money in the middle other than the betting on that street. Could it be that you're making too many disasterous folds in big pots because you're pretty sure you're beat?

Anyway, I hope things turn around for you.

scrub
Old 10-03-2004, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mikey,

Scheiße passiert.

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't speak German. It brings about bad memories.

And yes, sh[/i]it happens. Although, I find it humorous coming from you given your incredibly risk-averse arguments in the WPT forum... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 AM

LEt me get this straight - you put money in your pocket and you feel you had a bad month? Hang on dude, you're in for a real shock.

True, your profits were weak for that amount of gaming, but it can be much, much worse.

I don't play that many table hours (I'm a one table at a time type), but I've had months that were just pure hell. Can't drag a pot. Period. River, river, river. Suckout, suckout, suckout. Rags, rags, rags. Nothing would work.

It is very emotionally draining when you go through these stretches - I've actually been in tears, because of extreme frustration during the depths of a couple of particularly bad runs.

It happens. Poker does involve luck - as much as we try to believe that our skill can equalize that luck every session, it's just not true. Some days, the fish rule the poker world. I can't count the number of session sI've played where the biggest fish in the world just can't miss. (I actually saw one today - he won a tournemanet and them cleaned up in one of the cash games afterword and he's "one of those guys" that you're just waiting to pull out a roll and sit down.)

You have to get through it, one way or the other. I personally believe that you have to play your way through it, but sometimes taking a break. Even 2 or 3 days where you're not thinking about all the rediclous stuff you've seen helps.

But please, don't start feeling sorry for yourself if you just didn't win as much as you think you should. Because it can, and probably will get worse.