Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: How Can You Possibly Be Proud of Your Brother . . .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Suggesting that he be ashamed of his brother for serving in the armed forces?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I said "for serving in a war of aggression." Imbuing an unjust war with "pride" is no better than sending troops to die for an unjust cause. Russians should be proud of service in the Red Army to repel German aggression and ashamed for killing Ukranians or Afghans. Americans should be proud of service in WWII and ashamed of service in Vietnam or Iraq. It is the justification for the war that makes the difference, a rule of judgment that so-called "patriots" like to apply to every country in the world except their own. The character of the government fighting it hardly makes any more difference than the color of the uniforms or the size of the hats.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think soldiers should form individual judgments on whether a particular war, or battle, or maneuver, etc., is right or wrong? And then make an individual decision as to whether to partake? Please.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: My brother the Solider

Victor Borge used to do a joke about the composer, Haydn. His wife would come home and yell out, "Where are you, Haydn?"
Old 08-15-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is Bush and Rumsfeld don't listen to their own generals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, now you're an expert on the communications between the WH and generals. Do tell me how you know this.

[ QUOTE ]
How much more clearer can I make it that Bush doesn't put a priority on punishing OBL for 9/11 than give you quotes from the proverbial horse's mouth...

Jump up and down and scream liberal all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Bush said those things in response to direct questions about the hunt for OBL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, apparently you don't know what "context" means. I suggest you look it up before continuing this conversation.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So where is Bin Laden?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was dead already they wouldn't tell us, he's too much of a resource in the 'fear and control' agenda thats tying up the loose ends of the last scraps of freedom we have left. They need his spectre lurking like a monster under everyones bed in order to put through all the draconian laws they intend over the next 5-10 years.

Mack
Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 AM

Seems like, this woman, your mother, said this to you in a private email rather than to your brother to whom she is not related.

I hardly think this can be construed as being in poor taste. Perhaps the best response to it would be consider her opinion as food for thought.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He {OBL} is in Hiding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Hiding, Afghanistan?

Seeing that you know where he is, please let Bush know (of course, he actually professes to not care where he is).
Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think soldiers should form individual judgments on whether a particular war, or battle, or maneuver, etc., is right or wrong? And then make an individual decision as to whether to partake? Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about battles and maneuvers - but of course, individual soldiers ought to make moral decisions about whether or not to partake in wars.

I think Nuremberg rightly demonstrated why we hold underlings accountable for the decisions they make, even if they were merely following orders.

Although I think there's a legitimate case to be made for battles and maneuvers, as well; soldiers may find themselves volunteering for what they initially considered to be a just war, only to find they're called on to behave unjustly - in which case, I have no problem releasing soldiers from whatever obligation their original consent provided.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 AM

Edge34,

Please refrain from making direct personal insults (or name-calling) aimed at other users of this forum.

Attack the argument, not the poster. I know it's hard sometimes.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please refrain from making direct personal insults (or name-calling) aimed at other users of this forum.

Attack the argument, not the poster. I know it's hard sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the implication that it requires some impulse control to not attack Chris Alger personally?

If that's the case, I'm not sure you truly believe this:

[ QUOTE ]
Attack the argument, not the poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

ought to be the standard, other than it's the law, so to speak.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think soldiers should form individual judgments on whether a particular war, or battle, or maneuver, etc., is right or wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Particular wars, of course, and I suspect you and almost everyone else does also. Or are you suggesting that Iraqi soldiers should have participated in the invasion of Kuwait, and those that refused should have been punished? Battles and maneuvers within wars are different; again it depends on the justifiability of the war.